Wood for outdoor enclosure.

Erik Elvis

Location (City and/or State)
Delaware
Plan on starting an outdoor area for my sulcata and red foots. I figured pressure treated 4x4’s about a foot and a half in the ground would be ok. But what about the actual fence. Was scouring the lumber section at Lowe’s and saw some of the wood can get quite expensive. Like the pressure treated 2x12’s. Is it easier to use 2 2x6’s or should the wall be taller than 12”? Looking for ideas.

Erik Elvis

Delaware
Ahh good idea! I think the metal sheets would be good for the red foots but the sulcata may be able to put a hurtin on it when he gets big.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Ahh good idea! I think the metal sheets would be good for the red foots but the sulcata may be able to put a hurtin on it when he gets big.

It actually holds up well. I found this idea on here.
I wish we would have screwed them in on the outside of the post but he hasn’t tried to push out at all. My guy is only 3 but pretty mellow so far.

Erik Elvis

Delaware
How much are those metal roof panels?

And has anybody used a online site to make a custom wood sign? Would like one with the tortoises name/s. I haven’t really found a reasonable site to do it.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
How much are those metal roof panels?
And has anybody used a online site to make a custom wood sign? Would like one with the tortoises name/s. I haven’t really found a reasonable site to do it.

As for cost of the galvanized panels, look them up on Builders Emporium or HomeDepot for figuring.
For your personal sign I’d look at local, private woodcrafters and wood-shops to do this. I’ve got a sign for my old best horse. I had it hanging above his people door going into his stall. Here that is…IMG_1524150353.736837.jpg heckfire, y’all could probably find someone on Craigslist to make it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like the look, sturdiness and longevity of the metal roofing panels. When the time comes, I'm pretty sure I'll be changing out my wood fences for metal panels. But, I've lived in this house about 25 years. The first year I was here I built all my tortoise yards using used corral boards that I brought to this house from my old house. The boards were torn down from an existing pasture fence at my old house, and were already about 10 years old. So, used lumber. I have had to replace a board here or there, but for the most part, my corral lumber fencing is still standing and functionable after being here 25 years.

Corral boards are rough cut and about 1.5" x 6" x 16' pine. This has served me well.

Dudley's track 10-8-14.jpg

SULCY

NEW YORK
The roof panels are easy to install and very strong. It is also easy to add another section when you need to expand. Mine are up a couple of years and not one spot of rust on them. I would like to paint them but it seems being galvanized that is not an easy job.

Erik Elvis

Delaware
Yeah they’re not as pretty as a wood fence but I live in the woods and no one will see it but me anyway.