Wood nettle

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
Is this wood nettle, and can my tortoises eat it?

Attachments

• 20210818_115342.jpg
    20210818_115342.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 9

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Wood nettle is a stinging nettle; grab a leaf and you’ll know for sure!

Yes, they can be eaten. I don’t think there are any particular problems with the tortoise eating them—nettles release few ouchies when pressed firmly, which a tortoise’s jaw will certainly do. But if you are worried about it you can drop a whole pile of them in boiling water for a minute and use them from there.

If it doesn’t sting, I got nothing.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Wood nettle is a stinging nettle; grab a leaf and you’ll know for sure!

Yes, they can be eaten. I don’t think there are any particular problems with the tortoise eating them—nettles release few ouchies when pressed firmly, which a tortoise’s jaw will certainly do. But if you are worried about it you can drop a whole pile of them in boiling water for a minute and use them from there.

If it doesn’t sting, I got nothing.
Thank you

TisMary

New York
Is this wood nettle, and can my tortoises eat it?
Have you ever seen it flower? Would be interested to see pictures of one in bloom - then we should be able to tell more. Agree with @Yvonne G that it looks like a little tree seedling.

If it is a nettle, both wood nettle (Laportea spp.) and stinging nettle (Urtica spp.) belong to the - wait for it! - Stinging Nettle (Urticaceae) Family. Their leaves are generally opposite each other along the stem (as opposed to "alternating" first on one side, then the other). Sometimes (not always), the stems are square (which is why these plants can be mistaken for a Mint - whose crushed leaves BTW will leave you with no doubt!). Nettle stems are "hairy" (that's a scientific term). There are also "stinging" hairs underneath the leaves which as @RosemaryDW says you'll know if you grab 'em! Best to grab these plants while wearing gloves, or just grab the stems.

Almost forgot - here is a vid about identifying nettles in 4 different seasons. Nettle Identification

Plants in this Family have such strong stems that they have been used to make cord! Laportea stem fibers are said to be stronger than cotton. So, if your tort won't eat them, maybe you could take up macrame?

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Have you ever seen it flower? Would be interested to see pictures of one in bloom - then we should be able to tell more. Agree with @Yvonne G that it looks like a little tree seedling.

If it is a nettle, both wood nettle (Laportea spp.) and stinging nettle (Urtica spp.) belong to the - wait for it! - Stinging Nettle (Urticaceae) Family. Their leaves are generally opposite each other along the stem (as opposed to "alternating" first on one side, then the other). Sometimes (not always), the stems are square (which is why these plants can be mistaken for a Mint - whose crushed leaves BTW will leave you with no doubt!). Nettle stems are "hairy" (that's a scientific term). There are also "stinging" hairs underneath the leaves which as @RosemaryDW says you'll know if you grab 'em! Best to grab these plants while wearing gloves, or just grab the stems.

Almost forgot - here is a vid about identifying nettles in 4 different seasons. Nettle Identification

Plants in this Family have such strong stems that they have been used to make cord! Laportea stem fibers are said to be stronger than cotton. So, if your tort won't eat them, maybe you could take up macrame?
Thanks for the info