Wood Turtle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
My friend has this little turtle. Her husband's family has some free roaming in their backyard and every so often they come across eggs and/or hatchlings.

She always told me it was a box turtle but when I saw it recently for the 1st time I wasn't too sure that's what it was. The plastron has no "box/hinge". I did a little google search and I think it is a Wood Turtle but I get some conflicting info. I'd like your help to ID this little guy. She has had this turtle for 2 years. I couldn't believe how little it is. Is this normal? He is kept in a planted outdoor pen with a screen lid and is fed all sorts of little bugs and worms.

If I can positively ID what this is, I may get some for myself next time they hatch more.

thanks!

kbshue.jpg

2vae5gy.jpg

save6a.jpg

Ripkabird98

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:
My friend has this little turtle. Her husband's family has some free roaming in their backyard and every so often they come across eggs and/or hatchlings.

She always told me it was a box turtle but when I saw it recently for the 1st time I wasn't too sure that's what it was. The plastron has no "box/hinge". I did a little google search and I think it is a Wood Turtle but I get some conflicting info. I'd like your help to ID this little guy. She has had this turtle for 2 years. I couldn't believe how little it is. Is this normal? He is kept in a planted outdoor pen with a screen lid and is fed all sorts of little bugs and worms.

If I can positively ID what this is, I may get some for myself next time they hatch more.

thanks!

kbshue.jpg

2vae5gy.jpg

save6a.jpg

I have wanted a wood for SO long.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Sorry to tell you but this is a three-toed box turtle. These are wood turtles.
176.jpg

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Don't be sorry...I'm asking so I'll know :)
I was confused because i didn't see in a hinge...but that is interesting to know the hinge isn't developed when they are young.
When i saw pics of woods turtles with long tails i was even more confused because this one has a short tail.

So as a three toe box turtle is it the right size for being 2 years old??

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I have a 15 month old three toed box turtle that is captive bred and has been raised indoors so far. He/she is large for his age, about 4 inches SCL and 173 grams in weight. I can't tell the size of that turtle. Also, both of my box turtles had functional hinges at about a year old and by about 3 inches SCL.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Yes, a three toed. Poke him in the nose a bit to see if he can close. I would bet he can, but is bold enough that he doesn't feel the need to. All of my yearlings have fully developed hinges. The split scutes are unusual for a wild box turtle.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
this guy is maybe 2inches. very small. and no hinge yet. the day i saw him and took these pictures i did everything to try and see if he would close. i even pushed on the plastron with my finger to see if there was a hinge...nope.

so i guess it just hasn't developed yet??

maybe size is the determining factor more so than age on when the hinge develops?

yes he is less than 2 inches. i just looked at the pics i posted and measured my hand in comparison.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
OK, he's still little. I seem to think that everyone's hand is the same size as mine. He was probably hatched last year. Now that he can get regular meals, I bet he will grow a bit this year.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Team Gomberg said:
this guy is maybe 2inches. very small. and no hinge yet. the day i saw him and took these pictures i did everything to try and see if he would close. i even pushed on the plastron with my finger to see if there was a hinge...nope.

so i guess it just hasn't developed yet??

maybe size is the determining factor more so than age on when the hinge develops?

yes he is less than 2 inches. i just looked at the pics i posted and measured my hand in comparison.

Haha! Very creative!

Status
Not open for further replies.