injured box turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

kchavez

5 Year Member
We have recently aquired a male box turtle from a family member. We love him dearly but our dog has made him her play toy on several occasions. Although we do our best to keep them seperate and little cruiser safe, she has managed to get a hold of him again and this time has torn his hinge almost off and taken a few chunks out. We are devastated and are desperate for help. Please help us heel him

kchavez

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Best bet would be to take him to a vet unfortunately. Maybe if you post pics of the injury someone can give you info on how to keep it clean in the meantime? How are you not able to keep them seperated? Cruiser should be in his own habitat and now allowed near the dog IMO.

Saranna

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't want to heap on the criticism, but the little guy needs to visit a vet, it sounds like a serious injury, and if you can't give the little guy a place of it's own, you should rehome it. It is not fair to the box turtle to keep on being the dog's chew toy. I will keep the little guy in my thoughts.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Yes, get him to a vet. He will probably need antibiotics. You can probably wash out the wounds with betadine, but it would be best to post a pic for us to see how badly he is injured. Good luck and keep us posted on his progress. Where are you located?

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
What are you keeping him in? How is it that the dog can get to your tortoise? I advise you make sure cruiser is out of reach in a tortoise table or pen.

PS Welcome to the forum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kchavez:

Welcome to the forum!!

You should find a good turtle/tortoise vet because the turtle will need a round of anti-biotics. Dog/turtle injuries usually end up with the turtle getting infected. I'm hoping you've now made arrangements so that the turtle can be safe from the dog???

Status
Not open for further replies.