worms???? (updated after vet visit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I have had my Russian tort for about 5 months now and haven't had any issues but this morning when I was giving him his soak, I looked in the water and saw something on the bottom of the container that looked like tiny grains of sand. As I looked closer the water had tons of tiny tiny worm looking things. I am not sure what I can start doing for him today until I can get him to the vet. I have never had this problem before with him and not sure what caused it and more important what I can do for him. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Russian Tort help needed -worms????

If you think they came from the tortoise and not the water, then he should be de-wormed. Panacur is what we use for tortoises. You'll have to get the dosage from your vet.

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio

Thanks. they definitely came from him since he had been soaking for a little while and the water was just fine. It's kind of weird though. I scooped his fecal out of the water and went to dispose of it and than when I got back I went to scoop up water to pour over him and than I noticed them. It's almost like he peed and they came out rather than in his fecal. Like I said this is the first time I have ever noticed any type of worm with him. He seems to be acting normal otherwise other than he hasn't been eating quite as much as he normally does but still would eat.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

The only thing I could find on parasites in tortoise urine was this about hexamita on Andy Highfield's web site:

Hexamitiasis:

Infection of the renal-urinary system by the flagellate organism Hexamita parva presents a serious danger. Symptoms include voiding of unusually concentrated urine, often smelling strongly of ammonia. In severe cases, this may be tinged with blood. The animal may also display signs of dehydration, and may drink excessively. In chronic cases, the tortoise will have a wasted, debilitated appearance and may lack muscular retractive power particularly of the back legs. The condition is highly infectious, and suspected cases should be isolated immediately and veterinary assistance sought urgently. If untreated, death will eventually result from necrotic degeneration of the kidneys.
We have encountered several cases of Hexamita parva infection, and it seems particularly prevalent in G.pardalis. Urine samples from infected animals viewed microscopically will reveal large quantities of the organisms, which are much smaller than Trichomonads, typically measuring 8.03um X 4.79um (Zwart & Truyens,1975). The recommended treatment consists of oral administration via stomach tube of Ronidazole Duodegran) 10mg/Kg daily for 10 days,or Metronidazole (Flagyl) over the same period at 25mg/Kg (Zwart,1987). We have, however, noted a quicker response to the Metronidazole if the first dose of the course is delivered at 260mg/Kg and thereafter at the lower dose for the remaining period. Constant urine examinations should be undertaken throughout the treatment period, and thereafter at weekly intervals for several months and any recurrence must be treated immediately.
During treatment renal damage can be limited by supplying a kidney 'flushing' agent such as Hartmann's Solution (compound sodium lactate intravenous infusion B.P) orally at 5% of total bodyweight daily.(N.B: This can also be useful when dosing with aminoglycoside antibiotics where nephro-toxicity is a potential problem).

Flagellates are usually microscopic, though, and I don't know if you would have been able to see them. Try to capture some of them in a little container and take it to the vet to have it i.d.'d.

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Vet visit- treatment / diet suggestions Looking for feedback.

Took my russian tort to the vet today and he does have pinworms. Our vet gave us Panacur to give him today or tomorrow and than another treatment in two weeks. She suggested that we mix the Panacur in with a banana or corn to entice him to take it. She said if we hold back his regular food he might be more apt to eat the banana or corn since he has never had it.

She also mentioned he needs vitamin c so she suggested we give him an orange occasionally. She also suggested we give him yellow verges such as squash for vitamin reasons.

He weighed 359 grams. Other than the pinworms and additional diet suggestions, she said he was good!

I am concerned about giving him the banana but guess if its only for him to take the medicine it should be fine. I asked her about when I should clean his cage out due to the pinworms. She mentioned we could take his Eco earth substrate out and replace it with turf. Another idea she had was to take Boris out and place in water daily since he usually will poop and pee when soaking. That would be a way to keep his cage clean since we may not always see where he pees.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. I trust what she says but would like to know what others have experienced and done if their russian tort had to be treated for pinworms.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Vet visit- treatment / diet suggestions Looking for feedback.

I have never had to treat for worms and I don't have a Russian. However, it is really the same with all animals. When treating for worms, they can keep infesting themselves if extra cleaning habits are not practiced. To help with keeping things extra clean, it is best to use paper or paper towel for a substrate until you know he no longer has worms. Switch the paper out after every poop or pee. Otherwise he could keep infesting himself. The banana won't hurt. It's not like your feeding it to him on a regular basis. Strawberry s work good to, most torts can't resist them.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal

When I de-worm mine - I just pop open their mouths and put it on the back of their tongue - no need to put it on any food. I agree about keeping his environment extra clean until the treatment is over. Good luck! :)

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Vet visit- treatment / diet suggestions Looking for feedback.

Thank you both for your input. I will take out his current substrate and use newspaper for his treatment time. He's going to miss his substrate to bury himself in. :-(. :-(.
I just hope I can get him to take the medicine so he can get better.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Laura wins the prize!!

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Well I mixed the Panacur in with some banana slices, strawberry tops and green leaf lettuce yesterday. He wouldn't eat any of it at first but after not eating all day I enticed him by putting the mix on a green leaf lettuce leaf and he took some. I left the rest on his food slate and when I woke up this morning, it was all gone! I am hoping he got enough medicine in him to get the first treatment to be affective.

I took everything out of enclosure and cleaned it with his cleaning mixture of ammonia, rubbing alcohol and vinegar. He is currently back in his enclosure but with newspaper on the bottom and Timothy hay for him to dig and hide in. He seems to be okay with the new arrangements. I am hoping he doesn't get too stressed out while we keep him like this during his treatment time.

I think he actually likes burrowing in the hay. ImageUploadedByTortForum1369501106.848254.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1369501203.298959.jpg. I just hope he starts feeling better and get rid of those nasty pinworms!

Last edited by a moderator:

TortoiseLuv0131

5 Year Member
Eastern USA
Oh, poor little boy :( but sounds like he's doing just great. So glad you got it all checked out and he's on the mend!

Status
Not open for further replies.