Worried (about pyramiding) new mom

BloodyCouture

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
Ok so I know I am probably over analyzing, but I am really worried about pyramiding. I have a 8 wk old Red Footed tortoise. He /she appears to have a scute that sticks up higher than the others (pics attached). It's the one right behind the head. Is that normal?

He/she is in a 20 gallon tank with jungle mix substrate and little coconut around his hide to burry in. I have a 100w red basking light for night and a 100w Powersun for the day. Temps at night in the lower 80s and at night in the low 90s. I try to keep the humidity around 70% with daily soaks. Spring mix for his food with changes each day of a little mushroom or carrot. Whatever veggie I am using for day. All organic. He dose have cuttle bone that he bites occasionally.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1384708871.503310.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1384708929.265000.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1384708836.340441.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Worried new mom

You have to keep a pretty good balance between dry and wet with the redfooted tortoises. Too wet and they get shell rot...too dry and they pyramid. Your baby looks ok to me, but it's really hard to tell in a picture.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Sounds good....do you cover the top mostly so the heat and humidity remains level?

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: Worried new mom

I would take further steps to ensure smooth growth. Once the pyramiding starts/sets it may take months to halt after husbandry conditions are improved.
70% humidity is low for RF. Add to that open tank, hot day and night light and things don't look in favor of smooth growth. If the tort spend good amount of time under the hot dry lights where humidity is much lower still, well you get the point.
If you already don't own a digital hydrometer/thermometer I would invest in one. The round mechanical dials I see in the tank are notoriously inaccurate, especially the humidistat.

BloodyCouture

5 Year Member
Central Florida

We have started covering the top of the tank with cookie sheets. It's what was handy that could handle being near a heat lamp. Since she is such a young one she spends most of her time in the hide or under the moss (which have become her favorite thing to move around). Only coming out to eat or drink. We take her out for a walk around and look for food/forage our living room with a close eye on her and she seems to enjoy it. We are looking into getting a mister for the tank to keep the humidity more even. It has been a dry couple of weeks here when normally the humidity is so thick you could cut it with a knife. I will have to pick up one of those digital hyrdo/thermometers soon. I was wondering how accurate the mechanical was.