Worried about strange behaviour of baby sulcata

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
@Tom @wellington if we get a close top vivarium, is a strip uv light ok and if so, what type do I need?

I am attaching a photo of one I found and want to get tomorrow...View attachment 377488
This one looks lovely, but you'll be replacing it with something much larger soon. Here is a cheaper way to accomplish the same thing. Its not pretty, but if money is an issue this way works and you can do it fast. You can replace it with something bigger an nicer at your leisure.

If money isn't an issue and you just want the best and easiest way to go, contact MarkW84 here on the forum for a "Smart Enclosure". Everything is included and ready to go. Its the best tortoise life support system made. You can do a search here and see posts and pics from people who have them. Going with Mark's enclosures is actually cheaper than buying some other enclosure and then buying and installing all the heating and lighting yourself.

When you go to the vet, here are some common things to look out for:
Many vets want to give the tortoise a "vitamin injection". This does nothing but tax an already strained little body and is frequently fatal. Further, it is usually vitamin A and tortoises don't get vitamin A deficiency because everything they eat is packed with it. Turtles sometimes get vitamin A deficiency because they don't want to eat their greens. This is a sure sign the vet doesn't know much about tortoises.

Other vet problems might include antibiotics that aren't needed, or injectable Baytril which burns them and should not be used. One vet injected Ivermectin which is toxic to tortoises. Also, due to the renal portal system in tortoises, no injections should be given in the back legs. Be careful about all of these things.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes the strip uvb is what you want. The enclosure will work.
I believe the 10.0 T5 HO tube fluorescent is the one you want.
@Tom.can confirm.

sully_baby

Matlock
@Tom.can confirm.
@Tom @wellington

Thank you so much.

@Tom - the enclosures look amazing, we want to get something like that (I am in the UK) but our Sully obviously needs the change sooner rather than later...so we will pick up his new enclosure tomorrow evening.

Here is what we will get: https://www.gumtree.com/p/pet-equipment-accessories/vivarium-90x45x45-cm-full-setup-/1483851352

It is the best one we found that we can pick up tomorrow and has lights set up...it can of course be better but do you both agree this should be a lot better than now?

Really anxious and eager to hear your thoughts!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@Tom @wellington

Thank you so much.

@Tom - the enclosures look amazing, we want to get something like that (I am in the UK) but our Sully obviously needs the change sooner rather than later...so we will pick up his new enclosure tomorrow evening.

Here is what we will get: https://www.gumtree.com/p/pet-equipment-accessories/vivarium-90x45x45-cm-full-setup-/1483851352

It is the best one we found that we can pick up tomorrow and has lights set up...it can of course be better but do you both agree this should be a lot better than now?

Really anxious and eager to hear your thoughts!!
That one looks fine. If it is made of wood, the moisture will get to it after a while, but it will work great in the short term.

sully_baby

Matlock
That one looks fine. If it is made of wood, the moisture will get to it after a while, but it will work great in the short term.
Thank you @Tom, I want to keep it like this even if it is for 6 months and get him well and growing...in the mean time, getting the best enclosure possible is the plan...I really hope Sully will recover and won't take him to the vet...at least not tomorrow. Focusing on changing the enclosure tomorrow and will send pics with it when it is all set up. :)

sully_baby

Matlock
@Tom.can confirm.
@wellington is this the tube you are referring to? https://www.reptilecentre.com/products/zoo-med-t5ho-reptisun-100-uvb

For night time, we were looking at getting a heat mat...?

And for the heat bulb, the enclosure comes with a ceramic bulb...do you recommend us replacing it with something specific?

Edit: this is one we can get tomorrow - https://www.petsathome.com/product/arcadia-euro-range-desert-10-percent-uv-tube/P3964

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@wellington is this the tube you are referring to? https://www.reptilecentre.com/products/zoo-med-t5ho-reptisun-100-uvb

For night time, we were looking at getting a heat mat...?

And for the heat bulb, the enclosure comes with a ceramic bulb...do you recommend us replacing it with something specific?

Edit: this is one we can get tomorrow - https://www.petsathome.com/product/arcadia-euro-range-desert-10-percent-uv-tube/P3964
As long as they are the bulb I mentioned either will work. The Arcadia is a better one
Heat mats should not be used for babies, at least not on the floor. They can be mounted on the ceiling or side but not floor. A ceramic heat emitter or two of them is usually used for babies 100 watts for night time, they do not produce light and can be used for any needed added day time heat needed.