worried about weight gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swansea UK
hiya,i weighed both tortoises today and 1 had gone from 18g to 25 in 3 weeks and the other had gone from 14g to 20g,are they putting on weight too fast

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
CactusVinnie said:
I think they rather have full bellies (and guts) LOL! No tortoise of that size can have that assimilation rate.

yeh they had just been fed lol

Spn785 said:
What are you feeding them, and how much?

only feeding them weeds,plantain,dandelions,watercress,chicory, and things like that

Mjdeisher

5 Year Member
I'm still new to the tortoise care thing, but just as a comparison my 3 month old ibera has gone from 17 to 19 grams in about that amount of time. He was sick for a while though, so maybe he just has some catching up to do.... How old and how big are yours? From what I've read on here being overweight all depends on the growth of the shell and how long they are.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
You might try always weighing them at the same time (I chose to weigh mine after a soak, before a meal each time) - that way you get a better idea of what they really have gained. :)

pepsiandjac said:
hiya,i weighed both tortoises today and 1 had gone from 18g to 25 in 3 weeks and the other had gone from 14g to 20g,are they putting on weight too fast

Status
Not open for further replies.