Worried and confused - advise, please?

bradtato

Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
My Russian tortoise has been eating a little less than normal lately, and today he just wouldn't eat at all. He is also almost unresponsive to things that would normally cause some sort of reaction (picking him up, spritzing him with water, soaking him, etc.). I thought that maybe he's just been constipated, so I soaked him extra long in warm water, but he just kept his head down in the water. I took him out and placed him under his heat lamp, and after about 15 or 20 minutes, he discharged some odd fluid from either his mouth or his nose; it seemed to have the consistency of human mucus, but had a very light orange (very light) tint to it.

I soaked him again, with the same lack of pooping, so I put him back under his heat lamp, offered him some food again, and he continued to rest his face on the ground. Doing some research here, I concluded he may have a respiratory infection, and will be visiting the vet tomorrow, and have set his lights to stay on to maintain a warm temperature for him until I can get him to the vet tomorrow.

Then, suddenly he started to struggle like he was trying really really hard to poop, so I put him in another soak to help coax it out, and instead all I got was my first glimpse of a turtle penis. He seemed really uncomfortable while it was out, almost like if a person were just recently hit in their own...privates.

Could the signs of illness be connected to his sudden apparent desire to make babies?

His breathing doesn't seem to be raspy, nor does he seem to be having a hard time breathing, and all of his poop recently has looked pretty healthy. There's no signs of discharge from anywhere, other than that one time I mentioned above, which seemed more like vomiting than anything else...

He just pooped this:

IMAG00122.jpg

That looks like a super unhealthy poop to me...

And this is all he's showing me of his manhood:

IMAG00121.jpg

laramill

NCentral Wisconsin
I think it's good youre taking him to the vet.

At first, I thought, like you, that it sounded possibly like respiratory, but I'm wondering if he could have some sort of a blockage (either something he ate but shouldn't have, or a stone)...

Regardless, keeping him warm and doing the soaks can't hurt.

Hopefully my post will move your thread up on 'view new post' lists and someone with more experience will have some advice for you.

Best of luck and update how your vet trip goes.

Oh no! I'm so sorry! You must've updated just as I posted!
I can't tell you how sorry I am. It is unfortunate that with torts, we often don't see symptoms until conditions are so serious.
I feel so badly for you and Tonka... but surely you know you did all you are capable of. The pain of a loss like this never goes away, but it will get better...

Dorrie Siu

Oh nooooo I'm so sorry!!

With pets it's so hard...they can't talk and tell us where it hurts or what's wrong. And so we guess and we try and try to figure it out and we start to try to help...and as we eliminate each step that we take in effort to help them, we start to run out of ideas. You tried so hard to help him.. Oh geeze I feel so sad right now.

Please please please don't feel that you didn't do more for him. You did the best you could with the knowledge you (and this board) has.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow...that came on so fast. That's really too bad. I'm sorry this happened.

CrystalsFamily

5 Year Member
Oh, that's so distressing! I too am sorry for your loss. And being a newbie tortoise caretaker myself, I will take this as a warning to be vigilant to seemingly mild symptoms!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You did all of the right things by making the vet appointment, soaking him and bumping temps up.
Sometimes there is nothing you can do.

So sorry to hear of your loss. :(