Worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD9981

5 Year Member
I got my little RF Sunday. Monday he was very active exploring his new home and ate and drank. He has spent the says since burrowed in a hide and has not eaten any of the food I have provided. He may be grazing on the grass in his pen though but I don't see him out and about so I doubt it. I do put him in a bin at night because he has escaped from his enclosure twice and I don't want to risk a whole night not being able to check on him. In the morning I put him back in his enclosure and he heads straight for the one hide. :-(. He was shipped over night to Shellysmom and spent a few days with her before I picked him up so I am not sure if he is just adjusting.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This seems to be the same story we hear over and again about new tortoises. It seems strange to me that if they were going to be stressed out about a new home, then why are they ok the first day? I don't know the answer. All you can do is re-read the care sheets (the Tortoise Library is a good place to find out about redfoot care) and make sure that the habitat is providing for all the tortoise's needs.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I personally would revamp the enclosure so he can't get out, so you don't have to keep stressing him by moving him every night.

JD9981

5 Year Member
Thanks, I am glad to hear it is "normal". I will just to continue to offer him food (lol obviously) and keep an eye on him.
I have fixed his enclosure. I trimmed the entire thing in the black plastic molding some people use to layout a flower bed. It keeps him from going under the fence and is high enough he can't get over it to get through the fence. By the time he is big enough to get over it he wont be able to fit through the fence. He hasn't escaped in days but then again he isn't exactly out and about. I am just a paranoid Momma. I also fear raccoons at night too. At 5" is it worth the stress to move him or should he be ok?

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Hmmmm.... I'm sure most of it has to do with him being in a new place. Daisy wandered around aimlessly, all over her enclosure, the first day I had her and then hid for a couple days. It took her a few days to seem perfectly comfortable. Also, I don't know how many/what size plants you've put in there yet, but the more the better, to a certain extent. From what I know, this species is used to a certain amount of plant cover or tall grasses, so yours may feel more comfortable moving around under things, instead of in the open. Also, if it's shady most of the day on that side of the house, maybe turn a basking light on in the mornings to help him warm up if he wants it? Do you want to borrow one of mine and see if he likes it before going out and buying one? I also meant to tell you I bought a couple of plants a while ago that I was going to plant for Daisy, but then realized when I brought them home that they look really weird next to her plumbago bush. I lost my receipt, and it's been a few weeks, so I don't think I can return them. Do you want them? They're really pretty and supposed to grow nice and bushy. :)

Let me know...

mightymizz

5 Year Member
I would also make sure to keep him hydrated with a daily soaking.

Good luck, It is most likely just adjusting if all the temperatures and other stuff is ok.

JD9981

5 Year Member
Erika you absolutely ROCK!!!! Yes please to both. I will email you. :)
I have been soaking him, every other day though, so I will up it and continue. Thank you.

JD9981

5 Year Member
He ate!!! A hibiscus blossom and one of the pellets you gave me Erika. They were both all gone! I moved his food closer to the hide he has been in. He is snuggled back in now but at least he ate! Not real happy that I decided to leave him alone tonight and not move him and my husband just called me out to see a giant great horned owl in a tree along our property. :-(

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
If he's buried in his hide, he'll probably be fine for one night, but if he were mine, I'd take him in at night. Lots of people who have small torts do the indoor-outdoor thing and it seems to work fine. If the night enclosure is always the same set up, he'll get used to that and be comfy there, too :)

JD9981

5 Year Member
Ok good. I would feel so much better having him in at night. I just don't want to cause him stress either. But I would rather have a live stressed out Tortoise than no tortoise. Lol. I may see if there is a way to screen the top of the enclosure or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.