Would this be a good home?

atom

Location (City and/or State)
PA
It is for a four year old Herman tortoise. I have been having a hard time trying to find an enclosure that would fit her needs. No need to worry about heat loss my room is regulated for her temperature needs. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 1CA69967-1BA0-4BC5-91CB-DF733C88E881.png
    1CA69967-1BA0-4BC5-91CB-DF733C88E881.png
    115.5 KB · Views: 25

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's pretty narrow. Minimum is 4x8 feet for an adult. Do you have an outdoor enclosure too where this one could be used just for winters or bad weather?
If so then it would be so bad. If it's the only home it lacking some square footage.

atom

PA
It's pretty narrow. Minimum is 4x8 feet for an adult. Do you have an outdoor enclosure too where this one could be used just for winters or bad weather?
If so then it would be so bad. If it's the only home it lacking some square
If so then it would be so bad. If it's the only home it lacking some square footage.
Is there any websites that you know of where to get enclosures of that size?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Look into raised garden beds. You may find some that can be connect together to make a bigger size or there may be some already that size.
Also puppy/dog exercise pens. You would just have to add a bottom but that's easy with using a tarp.
Also if you can, build a nice size outdoor enclosure then the one pictured would be okay as a winter home.

atom

PA
Look into raised garden beds. You may find some that can be connect together to make a bigger size or there may be some already that size.
Also puppy/dog exercise pens. You would just have to add a bottom but that's easy with using a tarp.
Also if you can, build a nice size outdoor enclosure then the one pictured would be okay as a winter home.
unfortunately i can’t do an outdoor enclosure at the moment. Hopefully soon though. Thank you for all the advice!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Of course, you could do some McGivering and join two or even three of your planned enclosures together. You only need to make a few strategic cuts, fold down one “flap” into the second enclosure. The idea is to expand the living space. It doesnt have to be one 4x8 square.

Ive even seen two enclosures joined by cutting a large circle out, insert a 10-12 inch pvc pipe so torty crawls from one to another. One space can be darker, or brighter or full of plants...etc.

Good luck

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I think those have corrugated plastic bases don't they?
If so I don't think its deep enough for a good layer of substrate and your tort would keep trying to escape through the sides.
You could use a second hand bookcase laid on its back with the shelves removed and lined with plastic (e.g. shower curtain) Use the shelves to cap the corners.
The Lifetime raised garden beds can be used indoors. (use search facility to see what some members have done with them )
The enclosures thread has quite a few good ideas.

atom

PA
I think those have corrugated plastic bases don't they?
If so I don't think its deep enough for a good layer of substrate and your tort would keep trying to escape through the sides.
You could use a second hand bookcase laid on its back with the shelves removed and lined with plastic (e.g. shower curtain) Use the shelves to cap the corners.
The Lifetime raised garden beds can be used indoors. (use search facility to see what some members have done with them )
The enclosures thread has quite a few good ideas.
thank you! I have been on the hunt for a good bookshelf to use!

atom

PA
Of course, you could do some McGivering and join two or even three of your planned enclosures together. You only need to make a few strategic cuts, fold down one “flap” into the second enclosure. The idea is to expand the living space. It doesnt have to be one 4x8 square.

Ive even seen two enclosures joined by cutting a large circle out, insert a 10-12 inch pvc pipe so torty crawls from one to another. One space can be darker, or brighter or full of plants...etc.

Good luck

Good luck
very true I love that idea!!!
ty

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
thank you! I have been on the hunt for a good bookshelf to use!
Book shelves are usually too small, built to flimsy, and built with the wrong materials that won't stand up to damp tortoise substrate.

atom

PA
Book shelves are usually too small, built to flimsy, and built with the wrong materials that won't stand up to damp tortoise substrate.
yeah very true. Now I was looking into just building my own after going through the enclosure thread. What type of plywood would be best for substrate? I use a combination of coco coir and cypress mulch, any suggestions?
ty

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
yeah very true. Now I was looking into just building my own after going through the enclosure thread. What type of plywood would be best for substrate? I use a combination of coco coir and cypress mulch, any suggestions?
ty
Best to use expanded PVC sheets. These need no paint and never rot. If you use plywood, you will need to paint it. Rust-o-leum makes a "counter top"paint that is good for this application. It takes a couple of weeks for the fumes to die down after painting, but it lasts a long time and its safe for food prep once cured.

I've also been using Pond Shield for my outdoor boxes lately and that works great. Its a little tricky to work with, but it is completely non-toxic, impervious to water and very long lasting.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
I agree with @Tom that expanded PVC is the way to go. I recently had an enclosure built for my 2 year old Hermann’s out of expanded PVC and I can’t even begin to tell you how nice it is to not have to worry about using harsh chemicals and to never worry about rot. Keep us posted on what you come up with for an enclosure. I love seeing how others keep their Hermann’s tortoises. As for substrate, what you’re using is good. You probably don’t need the coco coir. If you’re looking for an alternative to cypress mulch, the best option would be fine grade orchid bark aka fir bark. I use just fir bark mulch...no coir.