Would you use this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Much too small for something long term. you could probably build a nicer one for less. If you arent a handy builder.. it would do,, but torts like mre room to roam.
Id get a used book case at a yard sale, lay it on its back and copy this design.. heck get two.. one for inside and one outside.

heyprettyrave

5 Year Member
New York
i agree. i had a 40 gallon tank for awhile, and like four or so months later i felt like it needed to be larger.

Michael Bird

10 Year Member!
Salt Lake City, Utah
Good size for hatchlings, but not adults. I have an adult Jordanian Greek who is currently about 6" shell length. She is temporarily living in a 36" x 28" bookshelf lying on its back (virtually the same size as the ZooMed box) and she hates it. She is constantly pacing around the box and trying to climb the corners because there simply isn't enough room for her to wander. I will be moving her to a much larger enclosure as soon as I am able to do so, but I just wanted to use my own experience as an example of why this particular box wouldn't work for an adult.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
The people who purchase that would probably purchase a baby sulcata to go with it. :(

bubbles1

5 Year Member
Bear said:
If you had a single tortoise(Lets use russains for an example) do you think this enclosure would be worth the money/good enough for that single beastie?

http://www.petco.com/product/106684/Zoo-Med-Tortoise-House.aspx?CoreCat=TurtleHPHabitats

I prefer cages that your tort can look out and see you. My torts' cage is right by my desk and when I sit there my 2 torts can see me and I can see them. We can interact. They can see me walk into the room and they come up to their cage to say hello. I also think the cage could be bigger. A bigger cage is funner because you can put more things in it to entertain your tort. I do like the hide this cage has and it's safety. Good luck in your decision-it is an important one!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Nice basic design, and I'm probably going to build an enclosure based on that unit, but it'll likely be 72" X 40" X 12"...still a bit smaller than optimum, but that's how much of our living room the wife will allow for a winter-home...fortunately, here in the Republic O' Tejas, my torts can live outside from mid-March to mid-October, and at least go outside to sun in the afternoons, for a few hours, quite a bit of the rest of the time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd use it for babies and hatchlings. I kind of like the design too.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I agree, the overall design has some definite pros, but I think it is much too small for any tort really, even a Russian or other really small tortoise.

It would be so easy to retrofit an old book case or garage sale kitchen table (adding walls, of course) to be the same design.

Ickisrulz

5 Year Member
I'm not an expert...but I suppose it would depend on how big the tortoise is and other arrangements you have available.

I made something similar, but a little bigger (2'x4') for my baby leopard to use when indoors. I will try to get him into his outdoor enclosure (3'x6') whenever I can. The indoor one is for nights and cold/bad weather.

The Zoo Med deal seems pretty nice for smaller guys, but a little expensive if you have the ability to make something yourself. I do and was able to make both my indoor and outdoor enclosures for much less that the Zoo Med offering.

Did you see the Zoo Med model can be joined togther?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUL_NTD-8VY[hr]
Indoor enclosure.jpgMy indoor enclosure.

Outdoor enclosure.jpgOutdoor enclosure.

Last edited by a moderator:

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Ickisrulz said:
I made something similar, but a little bigger (2'x4') for my baby leopard to use when indoors. I will try to get him into his outdoor enclosure (3'x6') whenever I can. The indoor one is for nights and cold/bad weather.

i love your setups. very nice work. you should sell those for people like me who cant build anything at all...lol

Bear

5 Year Member
Ickisrulz said:
I'm not an expert...but I suppose it would depend on how big the tortoise is and other arrangements you have available.

The Zoo Med deal seems pretty nice for smaller guys, but a little expensive if you have the ability to make something yourself. I do and was able to make both my indoor and outdoor enclosures for much less that the Zoo Med offering.

Did you see the Zoo Med model can be joined togther?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUL_NTD-8VY[hr]
My indoor enclosure.

Outdoor enclosure.

Yeah I noticed you can join them.

Status
Not open for further replies.