would you use...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
If you had to choose between the two for a 2" hermann's, would you use small aspen shavings OR bed-a-brick as substrate?

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I'm getting one Hermann that size, too, tomorrow :) I was told to use Aspen.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Kelly I have her on about a 70/30 bedbeast/sand mix right now. I have a hide spot for her on the cool end with sphagnum moss in it. She is a busy little bee!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
We still on for tomorrow Anja? I can't wait to see her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Tatooineboy said:
I'm getting one Hermann that size, too, tomorrow :) I was told to use Aspen.

Oooo we'll both get to post new pics tomorrow! Can't wait to see your sweetie!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Yup Kelly tomorrow morn @ 10am at McDs :)

pealow

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hey...I'm getting my new baby THH tomorrow !!! Look like it's gonna be a good day!

Paula

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Everyone is getting a baby Hermann tomorrow, hah. All of us will have to post pictures :)

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Oh yea!!! I will be checking the photo section tomorrow.. An early congrats to everyone who is getting new torts tomorrow!!! Kelly I use aspen for all of mine that are inside except for the boxies. But if Anja is already using soil/sand mix and the tort is doing good you could try that for a while, you can always switch to aspen if you need to.

susan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Diego, Ca.
When my babies were first hatched, and for the first few years of their life, Dr. Jenkins (the local herp. vet) had me use regular news paper so that the babies would not consume anything but their greens. Also he had me remove all of their poop immediately and with the paper it made it very easy. He explained that with paper you change it daily (and recycle it of course... i live is sandiego:0) that way there is little to no chance of any bacteria to build up. Also I am assuming he had me do it that way because mine are Ca. desert tortoises and need little to no humidity. Of couse a nice place to hide on the cool end of the enclosure. And sun bathing for at least a few hours a day:)

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
My hermann's is now 2,7" and I have him on aspen & top soil. half the enclosure has aspen (where he is fed) and the other half has soil (were he sleeps & basks). The soil is alot deeper then the aspen, so he can burrow for the night.
I also planted some weeds on that side to help hold in the moisture.
I guess if you soak him everyday, he'll do just fine on aspen alone.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
well I have it set up on bed-a-beast/sand... but i have extra aspen now and was trying to figure out who i could use it for !LOL!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Well you could always do one area aspen and the other the soil mix. I have another young male Hermanns set up that way. ;) Just push all the soil to one side and throw some aspen in one side.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Remember Eli's setup? Aspen on one end, moss and soil mix on the other end and down one side. (I grew grass down that side for him)

eli2002.jpg

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
yep, what Anja said. This is also what I do. helps with cleaning to because the tort will poo and pee near the food & water 99% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.