yaaaayyy! Ghamara surfaced....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
You know, no matter how many times one facilitates brumation .....there are not many things that offer the same woo hoo as spotting a tort coming out of outdoor brumation looking spunky...feeling like a brick...wanting sun water and a grip of food....thus winter was overall mild so my rebel tort friend who insisted on brumating in his own burrow showed himself today...looking FANTASTIC....was a great relief...caught a pic of him going in for the night....love love love the tortie butt...

Attachments

• 2013-03-17_17-56-35_46.jpg
    2013-03-17_17-56-35_46.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 86

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Tortie butt cant be a bad thing, he looks like a pretty big guy glad he came up ok. Its been warm lately

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ed, he is the smallest/youngest of the group...the old man, Humphrey, is the largest of the guys that live here.....the other three guys are likely gearing up here shortly as well, but they are a little behind Ghamara because they are resting indoors....:D

Ed, today the little cuties (Ed and Edie totally enjoyed outside for hours....lol, only one roll over from Ed---I will get some pics of them posted as well in their own section on the forum :D they are so fricken cute and Ed has the most precious personality....absolutely "a--dorable") don't think I am leaving Edie out, she is just an absolute stomper--it is hilarious.....:D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's great. Glad he wintered well:D Don't know how you guys that have those that brumate do it. I would be worried sick all winter. On the other hand, I love that they burrow and the pic of him going into it looks really kool. So natural.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Congrats!! I imagine it is a tad scary waiting for your shelled friends to come out in Spring.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Yes, super awful scary. My neighbor lost hers a couple of years ago and she came over screaming. She had checked on it the day before, little tug at the leg, weight seemed fine (she checked every 2 weeks) and then, boom, gone. It was about 40 years old. She still cries at the loss. It impacted me a lot, how she freaked and how sad she got. She refuses to adopt another CDT. So yes, when they are fine, it is major allelulia time in my opinion! Yay for Ghamara!!!!!!

wildchild6771

5 Year Member
Mine are up, too :) My older one woke up to a major remodel to his enclosure. I will post pics soon!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ascott said:
Ed, he is the smallest/youngest of the group...the old man, Humphrey, is the largest of the guys that live here.....the other three guys are likely gearing up here shortly as well, but they are a little behind Ghamara because they are resting indoors....:D

Ed, today the little cuties (Ed and Edie totally enjoyed outside for hours....lol, only one roll over from Ed---I will get some pics of them posted as well in their own section on the forum :D they are so fricken cute and Ed has the most precious personality....absolutely "a--dorable") don't think I am leaving Edie out, she is just an absolute stomper--it is hilarious.....:D

That would be cool to see some pics of the little guys, Its been awhile and Im sure they have gotten bigger. Little redfoots are always flipping over:D Crazy little buggers. Im sure you are looking forward to all the CD:tort: to all be awake and well. Do you keep the CDT seperated because of size difference or fighting or do they get along

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Do you keep the CDT seperated because of size difference or fighting or do they get along

Ed, they would do each other in....they are true and superb gladiators...well, all of them except for the old man--he is so mellow and the one time Herman flipped him, he had no idea what happened, he was laying in the sun sound asleep taking in the sun and wham---Herman just hooked and flipped him---this was when they use to live together before they came to stay here.....poor Old Man was like, heeeeyyy what the heck? and so I gently turned him back over and removed Herman--little bugger....

They are each calm and social with me when they are in their own world (own yards) and you would never know the rufian they can become in a split second....they truly can not help themselves, they are what they are....

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ascott said:
Do you keep the CDT seperated because of size difference or fighting or do they get along

Ed, they would do each other in....they are true and superb gladiators...well, all of them except for the old man--he is so mellow and the one time Herman flipped him, he had no idea what happened, he was laying in the sun sound asleep taking in the sun and wham---Herman just hooked and flipped him---this was when they use to live together before they came to stay here.....poor Old Man was like, heeeeyyy what the heck? and so I gently turned him back over and removed Herman--little bugger....

They are each calm and social with me when they are in their own world (own yards) and you would never know the rufian they can become in a split second....they truly can not help themselves, they are what they are....

Seeing your CD:tort: makes me want 1 or 2:D I grew up with these guys as a kid

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
bigred said:
Seeing your CD:tort: makes me want 1 or 2:D I grew up with these guys as a kid

I'd love to have one of these guys except for 2 reasons...

1. TO much hassle in Texas, if at all possable! (Legal wise)

2. Tho I do like the idea of not taking care of a pet for a few months of the year, a time of the year I usually travel, I don't thing I could handle the stress of waiting to see how they faired on thier long sleep as payment for that freedom.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Seeing your CD makes me want 1 or 2 I grew up with these guys as a kid

Ed, they are a fun bunch :D

Tho I do like the idea of not taking care of a pet for a few months of the year,

LOL...well, for their slumber months I lose entire use of the room in the house that they brumate in, which happens to be my bedroom (so I relocate in the house for the winter lol).....when ever I do go in the room I imagine I hear them and then go through the rounds of quiet peeking in on each....and while I have facilitated their slumber enough times in the past--there is absolutely always that part of you that is sooooooo darn happy to see them up and about and back to business as usual...and they look so relaxed and rested....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.