yay! and then to business

Status
Not open for further replies.

helensky

5 Year Member
So I posted a few weeks ago this thread http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-8262.html about how my poor Tallis went missing, we put up posters, combed the garden etc only to find one morning Tallis sitting proud as punch on top of his outdoor hide. Whether or not he was returned, or decided to come out of hiding, we don't know, but either way he's back so yay!
And to business - I call Tallis a 'he' now with much more conviction that before as he has started doing some rather, ahem, manly things. In the time that Tallis was gone, we bought a new hermann, Mini. as i was still away on family business when she arrived, i didn't see their first interactions, but have had a very good account. Tallis was very deliberate in humping mini, following her around in and at one stage humping was complete with the mouth open conviction I have seen in videos. they are only babies - Tallis was hatched June-July 2008, and I'm not sure exactly with Mini but she is also around that age. I'm a bit worried i have a male and a female - I never wanted a tortoise for breeding. Mini has never tried the humping and is a quite a bit smaller, despite both being from the same, reputable breeder who says they are around the one year mark.
Also, and this may be nothing, Tallis and Mini were having a bath today and whilst Mini enjoys her baths Tallis was really thrashing to get out, to which I obliged as I think the waves were beginning to upset Mini. As soon as he was out he pooed a thick white gooey substance that in no way resembles any poo he has had previously. I know that white in the poo is common, but this was entirely white, and frankly, of a jizzy substance. He promptly headbutted Mini when she got out (Note: they usually get on fine. Tallis is a bit of a bully, climbs on or over Mini in a non-sexual way quite often, but in never phases Mini.), which was a first.

Anyway, i know it is a bit early for sexing, but i've enclosed some pictures in the hope that you'd give it a bash. I'm also pretty sure Tallis and Mini are different sub-species of Hermann, im thinking an eastern and a western, which may explain the size difference, but let me know what you think.

photo-3.jpg
View attachment 2845

Last edited by a moderator:

helensky

5 Year Member
hopefully some better pictures...

Tallis is the darker on the left, Mini on the right. Thats's not shell damage by the way, its substrate :)
backs.jpg

the best picture i could get - they did not like this being on their backs at all! Again, Tallis is on the left
bellies.jpg

and after the ordeal, still a bit wet from bathtime :)
aftertheordeal.jpg

and i just like this picture :) one of the few occasions Mini is on top!
photo.jpg

M

Maggie Cummings

Did Tallis just turn up in your yard after being gone for all this time?

You should have kept them separate usually there's a quarantine period of 6 months, but I'm thinkin it's too late for that now...

helensky

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
Did Tallis just turn up in your yard after being gone for all this time?

You should have kept them separate usually there's a quarantine period of 6 months, but I'm thinkin it's too late for that now...

yes! he just turned up after literally going over his enclosure inch by inch for him or disturbed soil- the only explanation is that someone gave him back. we put up posters saying 'missing tort', etc, and 'if you have stolen a tortoise and realise you dont know how to look after him, please return him with no consequences' or somethign like that, and i think it did the trick.

they came from they same licensed breeder who knew we had the one, and there was a possibility of him coming back, so i think they must have been bred together - either way he knew his stuff so i think they'll be alright.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
too tiny for me to tell male for female, Danny or Chris would be best at the sub species. But they are both cute. If you keep them both and don't want to breed you will have to sperate them and keep them separate. :)

helensky

5 Year Member
Could someone move this to an appropriate forum so I can get my torts id'ed please?
Mini did the same disappearing act as Tallis recently, only for not so long - i think they just dig themselves in, but I'm not worried really as the weather is still moderate here... they leave as children and come back as men!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi Helen,
Your 2 Hermanns are both T.h.boettgeri and look to be females to me. :D

Danny

oswego tort lover

10 Year Member!
oswego co. ny. u.s.a.
hello , the larger one looks female to me and the smaller one male but it's too soon to say for sure . there is a chance one or both are T.h. hercegovinensis ie dalmation tort's . a closer clear pic of the area where the back legs meet the plastron would be needed for that. look at the heading over the top of the herman's section. chris leone has put together some info with good pic's that will help you..........ed

helensky

5 Year Member
thanks for the replies guys. if tallis (the big one) was a girl, would she have been humping mini, as described above?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its also a dominance thing. Females do it too.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.