Yellow flower

SouthPaw

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Westchester County, NY
Does anyone know what this is and if russian tortoises can eat it? My husband picked it from a field at the school where he works here in NY. I looked at the tortoise table but I couldn't identify it from the pics. It had a very short stem, like a violet. Thanks!20210408_175308.jpg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Can‘t really* tell you without seeing the whole plant. Can he take another picture of the plant where it’s growing?

*Maybe someone can, just not me!

SouthPaw

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Westchester County, NY
He actually picked them and brought them home and I took the picture at home, but thanks anyway! I’ll just see if someone else comes by who might know ?

ZenHerper

New Jersey
It's kinda consistent with Forsythia, which is beginning to bloom in the NE, but can't say for sure without more of the plant.

Flowering plants on Earth evolved partly as a response to the attention of bees and other pollenators, so lots of flowers look similar. Some yellow flowers are highly nutritious, some are merely edible, and some are not safe.

This Question:

D. Needs more information to calculate the answer. =))

SouthPaw

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Westchester County, NY
I know it’s not forsythia, that is blooming in my yard. it looks so beautiful against all the brown leaves and still barren tree branches :) this little flower was growing close to the ground. Hes been taking a walk every day where they’re growing, during his lunch break, so I’ll ask him to take a picture of it tomorrow. Thanks again guys! ?

ZenHerper

New Jersey
I know it’s not forsythia, that is blooming in my yard. it looks so beautiful against all the brown leaves and still barren tree branches :) this little flower was growing close to the ground. Hes been taking a walk every day where they’re growing, during his lunch break, so I’ll ask him to take a picture of it tomorrow. Thanks again guys! ?
Forsythia flowers are edible. The leaves contain a glycoside which is a class of controversial compounds where most tort species are concerned. (tl/dr: In short, they are sugar-based molecules, so hard pass for any torts that don't process sugars.)

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Looks like a species of buttercup. Opinions vary on safety of feeding. Myself i wouldnt feed unless i was confident

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Looks like a species of buttercup. Opinions vary on safety of feeding. Myself i wouldnt feed unless i was confident
I am leaning buttercup myself but would like to confirm. @MarySewFine I am one of the people that is very confident that feeding buttercups is safe; Russians eat a ton* of them in their native territory and plenty of UK owners have had their testudo tortoises eat them in their gardens for years with no ill effects. I would love to be able to offer it but the one year we planted it our Russian mowed them all down within two days of coming out of hibernation so it’s not sustainable for us. It’s the one plant type I can’t replicate from the native diet, boo. It’s not like my tortoise is missing out, exactly, I just wish I had the option.

Of course there is never any need to feed something you aren’t comfortable with; you know your tortoise better than anyone else.

*When I say a ton I mean it; it’s the primary food source in the breeding season so it’s clearly good for something! :)

ZenHerper

New Jersey

*When I say a ton I mean it; it’s the primary food source in the breeding season so it’s clearly good for something! :)
I wonder if the *energetic expense* makes it feasible...

...water availability also no doubt plays a part in what foods may be seasonally cleared by the kidneys...

...an interesting biochemistry topic...

Amanda E

Eastwood
Does anyone know what this is and if russian tortoises can eat it? My husband picked it from a field at the school where he works here in NY. I looked at the tortoise table but I couldn't identify it from the pics. It had a very short stem, like a violet. Thanks!View attachment 322739
It looks like the buttercups that have appeared in my garden this spring. Different to usual but it looks the same. I'm in England.