Yellow foot/Redfoot ??s

Status
Not open for further replies.

July

5 Year Member
I have one red foot tort now..juvenile, to young to accurately tell the sex. I have someone offering me either a red foot male or a yellow foot juvenile female. I'd love to have a second one. My RF is so outgoing and personable..probably what I love about it so much.
Are YF's similar in care and personality as RF? I read some that they hide more.
What about mixing sexes or having two of the same sexed RFs? I would like to be able to build one BIG indoor tort table for winter, not two!
Is it better to have two as companions or not really?
Sorry for the long list of questions...
Mary

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Mary:

This is strictly a do-what-you-want-to-do subject. The two tortoise species can live together in harmony, however, MY OPINION is if you're going to put two tortoises together, then get two of the same species and one of each sex. Its great fun and very educational to have eggs and watch them grow and hatch. You don't want to take a chance of mixed breeding between the two species of tortoise.

I have YF tortoises, and have never had RF tortoises, so can't compare the personalities, but my adult YF tortoises are very shy and don't interact with me at all. I have three babies that I raised from eggs three years or so ago, and they are a little more outgoing than the adults.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Ditto- as a rule, it is better for Red-foots to be in small herds, and generally better as a keeper to keep small groups than several individuals.

Red-foots are noted for good personalities, and they really show in groups.

July

5 Year Member
Wow, you guys are great tortoise "enablers"! I think I will keep two RFs rather than opening up to YF's too. Especially since I can't confirm the sex of the one I have.
Any trouble grouping a 5" with a 9-10" redfoot??

Status
Not open for further replies.