Yellow Poop

Millie80

Location (City and/or State)
Washington D.C., DC, USA
I have a 7-year-old, male, Russian Tortoise and I have had him for 3 years now. For the past 2 days, his poop is yellow and has a strong smell. Last year I took him to the vet for a vitamin deficiency and I have been feeding him vitamin A powder with his food and I also wash him in as well. Does the yellow poop mean another vitamin deficiency? Or he is sick?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Look up veggies and greens high in vitamin A and feed those INSTEAD of the powder. There IS such a thing as too much vit.A, and it's easy to overdose using powder. Stop that right away.

Far as yellow poop goes, it may have something to do with urates and too much vit. A, I don't. Really know.

Millie80

Washington D.C., DC, USA
Look up veggies and greens high in vitamin A and feed those INSTEAD of the powder. There IS such a thing as too much vit.A, and it's easy to overdose using powder. Stop that right away.

Far as yellow poop goes, it may have something to do with urates and too much vit. A, I don't. Really know.
I don't feed him the vitamins every day, more like every other day. But if it is too much then I won't give it to him for at least 2 weeks or until the color of his poop changes.

I do know that corn (his favorite), broccoli (also his favorite), carrots, squash, and kale are high in vitamin A.

Thank you for responding.

Last edited:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

I agree that a varied and correct diet, along with a good uvb source will give an adult tortoise all of the Vitamins and Minerals they'll need to be perfectly healthy.
With an exception being added calcium for egg laying females.