Your guesses please....

J.P.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philippines
Hello. Please indulge me on this one. I just need your educated guesses. I know it is too early to tell the sex of my 5.5 inch tortoises, but when the day cones, it will be nice to know if differences in young tortoise tails have any relevance to their actual sex.

Their tails have been different since I got them at around 4 inches six months ago. But the one on the right has steadily grown more little by little.

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
Thanks Tom, i know it's too early.

Not looking for a deifinitive answer. Just a guess. I will keep a record of the guesses and will compare to actual results in a few years.

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
Not sure about the age. I got them six months ago. Imported from Miami

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm going to guess female on the left and male on the right.

(When one clicks on your "Tropical Island" under your avatar it takes us to Germany to a theme park)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hello. Please indulge me on this one. I just need your educated guesses. I know it is too early to tell the sex of my 5.5 inch tortoises, but when the day cones, it will be nice to know if differences in young tortoise tails have any relevance to their actual sex.

Their tails have been different since I got them at around 4 inches six months ago. But the one on the right has steadily grown more little by little.

Hi

I'm going to guess.
Male on left(looks to be developing the longer pointed tail)
Female on right(looks to be developing bulbous behind the short tail).
Let me know if I get it right, I'll put the Lottery on that day. :D

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
Sorry to revive an old thread but I want to document the development of my leopards' tails for future reference. Attached is the comparison of their tails from May 2015 (lower pics) and today Feb 12, 2016 (upper).

What used to be the bigger tail has not grown much. The other has grown significantly, some widening at the base and slightly longer and pointier tip. Supracaudal scute on the left is also longer. I hope I have a pair. 2016-02-13 00.12.16.jpg 2016-02-13 00.13.07.jpg

Bducks16

5 Year Member
forest grove, oregon
In my opinion which isn't worth much I just like to participate. The one on the right is female. The one on the left still looks like it could go either way. I'm looking at the anal scutes. The left anal scute looks like it wants to go male while the right anal scute wants to be female. By the looks of the tail it could be male.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In my opinion which isn't worth much I just like to participate. The one on the right is female. The one on the left still looks like it could go either way. I'm looking at the anal scutes. The left anal scute looks like it wants to go male while the right anal scute wants to be female. By the looks of the tail it could be male.

I'm seeing that too. I'm just not ready to commit yet... :)

J.P.

5 Year Member
Philippines
I can't call either one yet.... Sorry.
Yeah, I agree. I just wanted to post an update and more importantly to put the pictures where I can find them again. It will be nice to see a sort of progression once their sexes are finally determined.

Reactions: Tom
With what you have got in the picture, I agree with Bducks16. The anal scutes may be a little confusing since they're not going the same direction. Yet, the tail says it's a male.