Your Testudo graeca graeca and its enclosure pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phill

5 Year Member
Hi could you please post pics of your torts and thier enclosures so I can compare them to mine because i would like to re-design my tortoises enclosure to give him more stimulation.If you have any ideas about keeping him happy through the day please post them.

chandlerledray

5 Year Member
IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
Testudo graeca graeca means Greek Tortoise. :) I'll have some up shortly.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Phill said:
Hi could you please post pics of your torts and thier enclosures so I can compare them to mine because i would like to re-design my tortoises enclosure to give him more stimulation.If you have any ideas about keeping him happy through the day please post them.

Nice table.

Use your imagination. Just add lots of edible plants and a couple more hides in various temperature locations, plus a few rocks to traverse and it'll be a playground.

Some people like the 12" clear planter saucers for water bowls or to grow seedlings or various plants. Plus they are small enough to walk around.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Just to clear up :p Phil your Spur-thighed (Greek) tortoise isn't Testudo graeca graeca. You have a Testudo graeca ibera. They come from south eastern Europe, Turkey and Russia. Where does it say he's from on your Article 10?

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just a reminder, Phill has asked to see pictures of your enclosures for your GREEK tortoises, guys.

Lets help him out and show him how we keep our Greek tortoises, huh?

(Sorry, Phill, I don't have any Greeks)

Phill

5 Year Member
Scientific name of species:Testudo graeca
Common name of species:Spur-thighed tortoise
County of Origin:Turkey

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yup he's a T.g.ibera :) Article 10's never list subspecies, just species.

Danny

Phill

5 Year Member
So do Russian and Turkish Graeca have diffrent shell colourings?

lito

5 Year Member
Phill said:

this is a picture of lito's home. he has a ramp so that he can climb up and get more or less heat. i use newspaper so that he cannot eat his substrate. sometimes if the weather is cold i put down a blanket instead of newspaper.

Attachments

• lito home.JPG
    lito home.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 69

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi:

I'm sorry that no Greek keepers have posted pictures of their habitats for you to look at. Have you gone through the enclosure section here at the forum?

I don't know much about the Greek specie, but to me your habitat looks pretty nice. Plenty of room and different levels to provide an interest for him. The only thing I would change would be to add a substrate instead of the newspaper. Maybe some aspen? I don't think he'd eat that, and its not messy.

Take a look at this thread. It was posted about a Greek tortoise:

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-5276.html

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
lito said:
Phill said:

this is a picture of lito's home. he has a ramp so that he can climb up and get more or less heat. i use newspaper so that he cannot eat his substrate. sometimes if the weather is cold i put down a blanket instead of newspaper.

Looks pretty cozy. Except for the ramp that the way mine is set up. Ready for my first Greeks.

If you have ever eaten paper think about how it will pass through a mini GI track. Sometimes it doesn't. Like a baby pets will try to put everything in their mouth.

As Yvonne mentioned, substrate is needed. As I have learned from this forum and breeders, it is needed to hold moisture to keep the shells smooth. Eco Earth seems to the favored choice. Everyone has their preference.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is a little OT, but you might consider that Lito got those stones because he was a little dehydrated. Being on newspaper could add to the dehydration. They might have been cause from the food he ate, but the dry newspaper could have also contributed.

lito

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
This is a little OT, but you might consider that Lito got those stones because he was a little dehydrated. Being on newspaper could add to the dehydration. They might have been cause from the food he ate, but the dry newspaper could have also contributed.

my vet doesn't think that lito was dehydrated as he was urinating this whole time. i asked the vet. lito was continuously passing urate and there was no sign that anything was wrong until his penis prolapsed. also my vet recommended the newspaper as substrate. i had previously used either small rabbit food (the pellets) or millet seed. the vet told me that lito would not find the newspaper appetizing and would not eat it. but thank you for the information. i have been hearing a lot of different options for substrate and i have heard pros and cons for most of them. i have been told that mulches (any) should not be used because if eaten the tort could get really sick from a splinter. i have heard that sand should not be used because it gets into the eyes and tail. i have heard that newspaper is bad because of the dyes... i don't think that there is any perfect substrate that everyone will agree with.

tortoiseman777

5 Year Member
AZ
you could always try paper towel i cant think of anything wrong with that

Status
Not open for further replies.