Yuri has emerged from hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

YuriTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi everyone -

It's Yuri and Rhishja - Yuri has emerged from hibernation!

(He officially emerged Jan. 17, but I didn't get around to posting his pix till now.)

He came out after 2 weeks of nice weather in the 60s - low 70s. Then, the next day the temp went down to high 50's during the day (normal temps). His enclosure is completely sheltered from wind (but not sun) so he has continued to emerge each day. It's warming up here again to maybe the low 70's by the end of the week. It's way down in the 30's at night, but his hut retains a little warmth from the daytime. Yuri hibernated in his hut, and returns on his own to his hut to sleep *every night.*

The first thing I did was give him a 30 minute soak, which he tolerated. He didn't eat until the next day, and he had radicchio and baby lettuces.

This week, he had Trader Joe's "greens for cooking" with shredded carrot.

Yuri loves radicchio - does anyone else's tort like radicchio?

Rhishja & Yuri

Attachments

• Yuri-closeup.JPG
    Yuri-closeup.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Yuri-soaking.JPG
    Yuri-soaking.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Yuri-cruising.JPG
    Yuri-cruising.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 35

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Yay! Sounds and looks like he's doing great. Trader Joes has all sorts of yummy tort foods I've been wanting to try. My little guy doesn't eat much so it's one thing at a time for us.

Radicchio is a tort favorite. I've heard they are particularly attracted to it because of the color and higher water content. I've personally cut back on feeding it because it has a Calcium:phosphorus ratio of less than 0.5, and I try to aim for at least 2 plus I supplement calcium. It's a fine food but my little guy could eat it all day if I let him!

Status
Not open for further replies.