Zoo’s. Stressed animals? $

queen koopa

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas Nevada
Interesting note/thought on zoo’s: we adopted 2 Mustangs from Oregon. For those who don’t know, they round up herds of wild horses via helicopter or 4 wheeled vehicle, restrained & branded, then put in holding pastures until people buy then or send them to slaighter. When we got them their poo smelled exactly like the outdoor mamal enclosures at the zoo/wild animal park! These 2 mustangs were in captivity at the holding facility for almost a year. Fed alfalfa I believe, maybe some grass. After a week their poop began to smell like normal horse, not zoo animals. I’m wondering if that smell is the result of a constant stress from being under zoo care?

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
I find it fascinating that I can sense the different odors and it jogged the memory of visiting zoos in my youth. Kinda gross, but still. Baha. I’ve had horses my whole life, now I’ve got my Sulcata and am mindful of their “waste” and always inspecting for irregularities......

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I remember taking a class on darting animals years ago and they spoke about capture myopathy. The running combined with the fear of death enhances the muscle exertion and will damage the muscles. And nasty torture technique is to cane the bottoms of a persons feet to the point that the muscle will break down and eventually cause heart failure. The odor is probably their body flushing the toxins out