Zoo Med Grassland for redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I have been feeding my redfoot the zoo med forest diet. Would you guys think it's ok to feed him the grassland instead of the forest? Looks like there is just lower protein content in the grassland.

Grassland:

Crude Protein (Min) 9.0%Crude Fat (Min) 2.0%Crude Fiber (Max) 26.0%Moisture (Max) 13.0%Ash (Max) 10.0Êlcium (Min) 0.9Êlcium (Max) 1.3%Phosphorus (Min) 0.4%Sodium (Max) 0.3%

Forest:

Crude Protein (Min) 13.0%Crude Fat (Min) 2.0%Crude Fiber (Max) 23.0%Moisture (Max) 13.0%Ash (Max) 10.0Êlcium (Min) 0.9Êlcium (Max) 1.3%Phosphorus (Min) 0.4%Sodium (Max) 0.3%

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
I don't think it would hurt him in the slightest as long as it's part of a varied diet. Grassland has more hay/grasses in it unless I'm mistaken though doesn't it?

Are you talking about switching over to it permanantly or just every now and again?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think its probably a moot question. I don't think the tortoise will eat it. My yellowfoots won't eat grass, just broad-leafed weeds and plants.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I was thinking every now and then but if he doesn't take it there's no point. It's something I will try though.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I have added fiber by taking two Timothy hay blocks from the rabbit food section of the pet store and grinding them against each other to get nice, coarse, but short-stranded stuff I can sprinkle on my guy's lettuce. They seem to be fine with it as long as I don't over do it.

Do your guys eat the Zoo Med? I could never get mine to try it. They are OK with Mazuri, but not the other stuff.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Actually my redfoot eats it all the time now. It takes some time to get them used to it but after two wks he is good to go.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
The grass/hay content has way too much silica for a forest tortoise to eat on a regular basis. If you use it occasion it's fine. I would spray it down a bit to soften it, finely chop it, and hide it in the veggies/greens/fruit. They probably won't even know it's there.

Status
Not open for further replies.