Zoo Med Tortoise Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
What's everyone's thoughts on the Zoo Med Tortoise food? I'm looking at either the grassland or the natural tortoise food just so Hiccup has something else to eat this winter besides what I can buy. I have plants growing...slowly.

I noticed that neither kind says it's formulated specifically for Hermann's. Is that alright? Also, if anyone has any other recommendations I'd be happy to hear them! I'm not wanting to feed commercial food, really. But thought these grassy pellets seemed like a good supplement in winter. He has some commercial food that came with him, but it was just in a baggy with no brand, ingredients, etc so I'm very hesitant to feed it, and he doesn't like it any way.

Thanks in advance for any help! You guys are the best! :D

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Below is how the major pellet brands compare in terms of their main elements. All of them also contain varying degrees of vitamins and other ingredients too numerous to list here:

Protein Fat Fiber Calcium Phosphorus

Mazuri 15%+/- 3%+ 18%+ .95-1.45% .60%+

Marion Red Sticks 23%+/- 6.5%+ 10% ? ?

ZooMed Grassland 9%- 2%- 26%+ .9-1.3% .4%-

ZooMed Forest 13%- 2%- 23%+ 1.3%+ .4%-

I've tried both the ZooMed Grassland and Forest diet for a while with Testudo species
and with the exception of Marginateds and occasionally some of the my Russian tortoises, the others (mainly Hermann's & Ibera Greeks) showed no interest in either food. Those same species that showed some interest in the ZooMed products showed about equal interest in the Mazuri and Marion products. Likewise, those that did not show any interest in the ZooMed products also showed no interest in the other pellet food brands.

I've found that generally all of my tortoises, including Hermann's subspecies and Ibera Greeks are more interested in fresh timothy hay than they are any prepared foods. Hermann's and Ibera are not typically grass eaters to begin with. A better diet for a Hermann's is one that contains a varied, well balanced diet of about 80% quality greens along with about a 20% diet of a variety of vegetables.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
GBtortoises said:
Below is how the major pellet brands compare in terms of their main elements. All of them also contain varying degrees of vitamins and other ingredients too numerous to list here:

Protein Fat Fiber Calcium Phosphorus

Mazuri 15%+/- 3%+ 18%+ .95-1.45% .60%+

Marion Red Sticks 23%+/- 6.5%+ 10% ? ?

ZooMed Grassland 9%- 2%- 26%+ .9-1.3% .4%-

ZooMed Forest 13%- 2%- 23%+ 1.3%+ .4%-

I've tried both the ZooMed Grassland and Forest diet for a while with Testudo species
and with the exception of Marginateds and occasionally some of the my Russian tortoises, the others (mainly Hermann's & Ibera Greeks) showed no interest in either food. Those same species that showed some interest in the ZooMed products showed about equal interest in the Mazuri and Marion products. Likewise, those that did not show any interest in the ZooMed products also showed no interest in the other pellet food brands.

I've found that generally all of my tortoises, including Hermann's subspecies and Ibera Greeks are more interested in fresh timothy hay than they are any prepared foods. Hermann's and Ibera are not typically grass eaters to begin with. A better diet for a Hermann's is one that contains a varied, well balanced diet of about 80% quality greens along with about a 20% diet of a variety of vegetables.

Thank you so much! That's very helpful. He eats almost entirely greens and a little bit of veggies. I just worried because his diet isn't that varied since it's winter now. But like I said, I have several pots of goodies growing for him, so eventually he'll have more and this summer he'll have lots and lots to choose from. I think I'll pass on the food for now. He eats great, I just worried about nutrients and fiber.

Thanks again! I really, really appreciate it!

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
We have added the grassland formula this winter and are pretty pleased with it. We soak it a bit to soften it and add it on top of greens. So far, most seem to be eating it fairly well. I am impressed with the high fiber content. That is the reason we decided to add it this winter. It is another thing we are doing to add variety.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
GBTortoises gave you a great answer here, just wanted to add that I have two redfoot hatchlings that enjoy the Zoo Med Forest diet. I have both Mazuri and Zoo Med and they enjoy them equally. I provide the Zoo Med diet more frequently (~1/week in winter) than Mazuri (~1/month) because it seems more natural (dried vegetation and fruit vs. processed grain and molasses found in Mazuri - both have added proteins and vitamins).

I do the same as Tim & Robin, moistening it prior to feeding, should you decide to purchase and feed Hiccup Zoo Med in the future.

bellyboo

5 Year Member
Thank you all for the replies! I really appreciate them. I have to order pretty much all of my tortoise supplies online, so I like to be able to ask around since I can't ask in store.

Status
Not open for further replies.