1 year old desert tortoise not eating

DizzyDana

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Hello! I have grown up in California and have had desert tortoises all my life. I adopted 2 babies a little over a year ago. Unfortunately one of them passed away. I believe she had a viral infection. The other is still alive but I have noticed that she hasn't been eating for quite some time now. She just down right refuses. I tried to keep her from gubernatorial g over the winter but she was stubborn and decided to. I just recently woke her up, have been giving her soaks and she has been drinking, but she still won't eat. I've even tried baby food. I have been putting her outside for a little each day, 1/2 sun 1/2 shade. But all she wants to do is go to the shade and sleep!! Any suggestions?

M

Maggie Cummings

Make sure that she's warmed up. I would soak her daily in warm water with strained carrots in it. That way she will get some nutrients from the baby food even if she won't eat it. I would never have allowed a one year old tortoise to hibernate. Is she set up in the house with a UVB light and all? Is she warm enough in her habitat? Is is hot/warm outside. Maybe babyfood soaks and staying in a warm habitat will help. I just am not sure that moving her in and out isn't just confusing her and stressing her out...

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I totally agree with Maggie. This baby needs to be set up in a hospital tank with an overall temperature of 85F degrees and moist air. Soak it in Gerber strained carrots and water for at least a half hour daily. Put the little container of soaking water and the tortoise in it inside the hospital tank and it will stay warm for the half hour. You should see positive results in three days. If you don't, you'd better take the baby to a vet well versed in tortoises.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Where did you acquire the babies from? What type of living space do you have set up for the tort? Did the two torts reside in the same enclosure up until the death of the other tort? What type of care routine do you offer the tort?