1 year old

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEVILDOG

5 Year Member
DSC00071.JPGDSC00079.JPG

I am trying to get the pictures to show up. I think I got it to work, what do you all think, please be honest? I feed them a lot of greens and weeds in the summer. They seem to be doming a lot. Any ideas how I can change it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I can see them just fine after I click on the links.

Nice leopards.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Is that an average size for a 1 year old Leopard? If so I think the vet was right when she said mine was between 5-7 years. Either way I think your leopards are really cute.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think that the pyramiding happens in the first year of growth. That's why we've been saying to keep them pretty moist during that first year. Once it starts, you can make it stop, but it won't go away. Your guys don't look too bad. I'm assuming that's what you meant when you referred to them "doming."

Just give them a humid hiding place and they'll be fine.

They're very pretty!

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Isn't it common for Leopards to dome? Almost everyone I see is domed somewhat. I think that they look very nice. Why do you feed the a lot of greens in the summer? Do they not graze in your yard much? :)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Yes...I thought Leopards were the only? species found to be pyramided in the wild, so I'd think this pyramiding, raising of the scutes (which actually looks a lot less severe than I tend to see on here) is to be expected. If you are talking about the dome of the shell (height), then yes that is also common for this breed. They look great to me! Not sure what you meant about the summer diet though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Candy said:
Isn't it common for Leopards to dome? Almost everyone I see is domed somewhat. I think that they look very nice. Why do you feed the a lot of greens in the summer? Do they not graze in your yard much? :)

Devildog can correct me if I've misinterpreted, but I'm pretty sure that in using the word "doming" he actually was talking about pyramiding. Leopards are naturally high-domed, but not naturally pyramided.

DEVILDOG

5 Year Member
Thanks every one and you are all right I meant pyramiding. They do not grace much in the winter in the yard because it is cold. I life in Beaufort SC but it is still too cold for them. They are still too small in my opinion to stay outside full time in the summer. I will need to build an outside enclosure this spring so I will need help on the design and were to put it. I want a secure enclosure my last Tort was taken from her outside enclosure. Thank for all your time Brad

Cameron

10 Year Member!
Oklahoma
DEVILDOG said:
Thanks every one and you are all right I meant pyramiding. They do not grace much in the winter in the yard because it is cold. I life in Beaufort SC but it is still too cold for them. They are still too small in my opinion to stay outside full time in the summer. I will need to build an outside enclosure this spring so I will need help on the design and were to put it. I want a secure enclosure my last Tort was taken from her outside enclosure. Thank for all your time Brad

great looking leopards.

Beaufort SC, still gives me chills....never made it to the air base there but I went to boot at Parris Island...Semper Fi.....

DEVILDOG

5 Year Member
[/quote]

great looking leopards.

Beaufort SC, still gives me chills....never made it to the air base there but I went to boot at Parris Island...Semper Fi.....
[/quote]

Thanks, I work on PI now as a civilian employee, but I did my last two years at the Air station. Semper Fi, Brad

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Nice looking leo's. The pyramiding doesn't look too bad, just keep them well hydrated. What are your temperatures during the summer? They seem big enough to be outside during the summer, just make sure they have areas to get out of the sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.