New Baby Redfoot, Indention on shell help

daduc

Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, Florida
Hello, I am a new baby redfoot tortoise owner. His name is Dozer (assuming he is a male) and is 5 months old. I have been researching for awhile now to make sure he has the best care before getting him. He is in an enclosed chamber with temperatures ranging from 82 to 86 degrees and always have humidity levels of atleast 85%. He is on orchid bark which I keep the bottom layer wet and top layer dry. I have potted plants to help with humidity where he can't reach. He also has UVB buln on about 5 hours a day and gets some sunlight through the week. I have had him for almost a week now and he eats mainly greens and very active and will also eat out of my hand. I give him daily 10 to 15 minute soaks as well in the shaded sunlight. I live in florida so eventually he will have a nice outdoor enclosure in our back yard once he gets bigger.
My concern is that he came to me with a little indention on one of his shell area and I want to make sure he's ok. Also, there is a little gap of shell behind his head that im concern about as well. If someone has any idea about these two concerns, I would be really grateful. I got him from a reputable breeder found on this forum.

I have attached some pictures of the concerned areas and his enclosure. Thank you for the help!

Attachments

• 20240903_201230.jpg
    20240903_201230.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240903_172459.jpg
    20240903_172459.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240903_172654.jpg
    20240903_172654.jpg
  • 20240903_172602.jpg
    20240903_172602.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240829_182645.jpg
    20240829_182645.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240830_203148.jpg
    20240830_203148.jpg

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello, I am a new baby redfoot tortoise owner. His name is Dozer (assuming he is a male) and is 5 months old. I have been researching for awhile now to make sure he has the best care before getting him. He is in an enclosed chamber with temperatures ranging from 82 to 86 degrees and always have humidity levels of atleast 85%. He is on orchid bark which I keep the bottom layer wet and top layer dry. I have potted plants to help with humidity where he can't reach. He also has UVB buln on about 5 hours a day and gets some sunlight through the week. I have had him for almost a week now and he eats mainly greens and very active and will also eat out of my hand. I give him daily 10 to 15 minute soaks as well in the shaded sunlight. I live in florida so eventually he will have a nice outdoor enclosure in our back yard once he gets bigger.
My concern is that he came to me with a little indention on one of his shell area and I want to make sure he's ok. Also, there is a little gap of shell behind his head that im concern about as well. If someone has any idea about these two concerns, I would be really grateful. I got him from a reputable breeder found on this forum.

I have attached some pictures of the concerned areas and his enclosure. Thank you for the help!
The space between the two scutes above the head is totally normal.

Can't really see anything wrong with the other area either, but I am not sure exactly what it is you are seeing. If it is just an indentation, it probably came from the tortoise being a bit crowded inside its egg before it hatched and it will most likely disappear over the next year or so as the tortoise grows.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Agree with Zovick. Sometimes those babies are really squished and take a while to get their correct shape and some will have a crease or little dent like you are seeing. Not a big deal.

daduc

Tampa, Florida
The space between the two scutes above the head is totally normal.

Can't really see anything wrong with the other area either, but I am not sure exactly what it is you are seeing. If it is just an indentation, it probably came from the tortoise being a bit crowded inside its egg before it hatched and it will most likely disappear over the next year or so as the tortoise grows.
Hi Zovick, nice to meet you. The indentation is more like a small dimple. But that makes sense. I'm completely fine with imperfections, I just wanted to make sure he's healthy. Thank you for your help!