New Redfoot Help, fungus?

Boneless

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hey everyone! It's me again :D Hahah. I still have Irwin, and he is thriving!

Yesterday I went to the petstore and saw a Redfoot that was all dried out, his eyes closed, he looked miserable. So I bought him, because I felt so bad for him and I couldn't leave him there in a cage with Sulcata's drying out and probably sick.

He will go to the vet in a few days, but his shell is really weird. Even though he's in a cage with a humidifier, his shell keeps drying out. I'm worried he might have shell rot or some kind of fungus on his shell?

Here is a pic. Let me know what you think! The second pic of his belly is right after a bath!

Attachments

• shell2.jpeg
    shell2.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
  • TurboBelly.jpg
    TurboBelly.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 40

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hey everyone! It's me again :D Hahah. I still have Irwin, and he is thriving!

Yesterday I went to the petstore and saw a Redfoot that was all dried out, his eyes closed, he looked miserable. So I bought him, because I felt so bad for him and I couldn't leave him there in a cage with Sulcata's drying out and probably sick.

He will go to the vet in a few days, but his shell is really weird. Even though he's in a cage with a humidifier, his shell keeps drying out. I'm worried he might have shell rot or some kind of fungus on his shell?

Here is a pic. Let me know what you think! The second pic of his belly is right after a bath!
Thank you for rescuing this tort. He sure needed it!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'll tell you what, go ahead and buy the least expensive ATHLETES FOOT CREAM you can find.
I literally get mine at the dollar store.
Apply a little of it to those areas of the plastron (underside) each day for ten days.
The top (carapace)of the shell is clearly just a mineral deposit issue from spraying your tortoise. It requires no action.
The bottom may or may not be fungal. But if it is, the cream will stop it and if it isn't. The cream does no harm.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I'll tell you what, go ahead and buy the least expensive ATHLETES FOOT CREAM you can find.
I literally get mine at the dollar store.
Apply a little of it to those areas of the plastron (underside) each day for ten days.
The top (carapace)of the shell is clearly just a mineral deposit issue from spraying your tortoise. It requires no action.
The bottom may or may not be fungal. But if it is, the cream will stop it and if it isn't. The cream does no harm.
what does athlete foot cream do for a tortoises shell? what if the tortoise ingests this cream somehow? or it gets absorbed into their skin where it can cause harm?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
what does athlete foot cream do for a tortoises shell? what if the tortoise ingests this cream somehow? or it gets absorbed into their skin where it can cause harm?
Good question.
It's just a mild, general anti-fungal agent.
It won't harm the animal if it gets on his skin and probably wouldn't make him sick if he ate a tiny amount. But we're talking about a pea sized dot of cream spread across the affected areas. Don't use much
There's no need to.
I can personally vouch for both its effectiveness and for it's safety.
I've been using it for decades. And it has cured countless thousands of shell fungus cases for our members.
It does a very good job at killing fungus. And like I said, if it ISN'T fungus...It's still fine. Because the cream can do no harm to the unaffected plastron.

Last edited:

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Good question.
It's just a mild, general anti-fungal agent.
It won't harm the animal if it gets on his skin and probably wouldn't make him sick if he ate a tiny amount. But we're talking about a pea sized dot of cream spread across the affected areas. Don't use much
There's no need to.
I can personally vouch for both its effectiveness and for it's safety.
I've been using it for decades. And it has cured countless thousands of shell fungus cases for our members.
It does a very good job at killing fungus. And like I said, if it ISN'T fungus...It's still fine. Because the cream can do no harm to the unaffected plastron.
Well that's good to know!
Thank you!

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I use both human athletes foot cream and human general antibiotic ointment with tortoises for bites. Cuts and scrapes.
(Also from the dollar store)
Roger that for cats who get cuts. Neosporin is our go-to 1st response once you clean the wound.