100 W or 150 W for closed chamber tortoise enclosure

DTNGUYEN0707

Location (City and/or State)
Houston
I have a 78in x 39in x 24in closed chamber tortoise enclosure. I want to have good lighting and heating conditions for my tortoises, but am not sure which is more suitable. I screwed in two 150 W basking bulbs (one on each half), and the temperature under the light is around 98 degrees F. The bulb is about 1 foot away from the substrate. The surrounding temperatures are low 90s to high 80s. This sounds like ideal temperatures, but using two 150 W basking bulbs one foot away from the substrate concerns me, and makes me wonder if my laser thermometer gun is inaccurate and I am overheating the tortoises.

I screwed in two 100 W bulbs, and the temperature right under the light is low 90s. The surroundings drop to high 70s.

Could I get some advice as to what I should do moving forward?

DTNGUYEN0707

Houston
I am also wondering about the heat escaping my closed chamber enclosure. I built it out of wood, and the door hinges and the top folding covers are not completely flushed with the frame. Should I try to cover these openings up more? Or will I suffocate my tortoises?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I have a 78in x 39in x 24in closed chamber tortoise enclosure. I want to have good lighting and heating conditions for my tortoises, but am not sure which is more suitable. I screwed in two 150 W basking bulbs (one on each half), and the temperature under the light is around 98 degrees F. The bulb is about 1 foot away from the substrate. The surrounding temperatures are low 90s to high 80s. This sounds like ideal temperatures, but using two 150 W basking bulbs one foot away from the substrate concerns me, and makes me wonder if my laser thermometer gun is inaccurate and I am overheating the tortoises.

I screwed in two 100 W bulbs, and the temperature right under the light is low 90s. The surroundings drop to high 70s.

Could I get some advice as to what I should do moving forward?
Hello!
Two 150W basking lamps are usually too much. In a well insulated closed chamber, 100W heat source heat is enough to the whole thing at 86F with room temperature of 60F.

Can you post photos of the enclosure and lamps you use? Do you have a digital thermometer/hygrometer to measure air temperatures? Temperature gun shows temperature of the surface and it's not exactly the same as air temperature.