15 or so Russian Tortoise Questions (some short) - Closed Chamber, Humidity, Lighting, General, Etc.

Sigmoox

Location (City and/or State)
Thunder Bay
Hello,

First off, thanks everyone for the assistance.

Thank you Tortoise Forums creators, admins and staff.

And finally Thank you Tom and biochemnerd808 for the great care sheets.

Some Background:

I have a baby Russian tortoise reserved and on the way =D. I want to give her the best home possible.
I had a wooden tortoise table but switched after reading care sheets online. I decided on a glass breeder tank to achieve a 'close chamber' and higher humidity for the first 2-3 years / under 4 inch size of the tortoise.

Here's three pictures of the old setup I replaced:
old setup with dividerold setuplights used on setup, new setup doesnt use the halogen but instead a generic hardware store bulb now.

Here's my new setup:

tanklabels.jpgP_20220410_143548.jpg
(note: I'm going to replace the water dish with a plant saucer as recommended)

….I think I am ready for the little one, but I have some questions I hope someone maybe able to answer....

Questions:

1) Is sphagnum moss a risk for impaction? Should I avoid it?

2) In 'closed chambers' the decreased air flow is fine ? the tortoise will get enough fresh oxygen? It just seems strange to me, but I guess this is to create a closed climate right?

3) With such a high humidity won't mold grow? How often do you change the substrate? Do you just spot clean or do you spot clean and change it?

4) Clear vinyl should be a fine alternative instead of plexiglass for a cover right?

5) Is if ok that my CHE runs all night? Is it ok on the bulb if I angle it a bit towards the humid hide?

6) I am not sure if my CHE/humid hide is holding 80F all night, once I noticed it was only 74F in the middle of the night. Is it ok my the humid hide temperature drops below 80F at night? NOTE: I just got the insulation wrap now so maybe its warmer now and this could be a mute point.

7) Currently I turn of my fogger and stop misting at night (when the lights are off). Is that right? Should the fogger run during the night also?

8) Do the tortoise like the misting? Does it chill them? Should I place the water bottle next to a heater or something to warm the water?

9) What is wrong with halogen lights? Note: I switched my pet store arcadia halogen light for a generic hardware store incandescent bulb based on care sheets read online.

10) Is it ok if the tortoise doesn't get misting while am I at work 9 to 5? I will spray in the morning and in the evenings.

11) Do you re-warm the water during soakings of the baby? If so how?

12) This the correct humidity range for a baby Russian 40-70 percent in the general area and 70-100 percent in the humid hide?

13) Using my new temperature gun (which love it btw); I measure 104F on the rock directly below the basking light. and 76F on the Cool side. Is the ok? Is the rock too hot?

14) Do you think this ramp is safe? What if I bury it into the substrate? I am worried about her getting stuck on the deco or something.

P_20220410_145541.jpg

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post.

Thanks again,

J. Scott.

Last edited:

Sigmoox

Thunder Bay
15) Also, my fogger gets really foggy for 5 mins every hour, is that ok? The fog disappears quickly though.

P_20220408_190510.jpg

Forgot that one...
Thanks!!

JS

HoosierTort

Indianapolis

Read this and most if not all your questions will be answered.