Russian Tortoise Lighting Questions

Lighting Recommendation for Russian Tortoise

• Zoo Med Powersun, 160 watts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zoo Med ReptiSun 5.0 Fluorescent UVB, 36" + a Zoo Med ReptiHalogen Heat Lamp, 100 watts

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Other, please specify below

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sammy5

5 Year Member
Hello! I had initially posted this in the "Tortoise Enclosures / Tortoise Enclosure Lighting" section but I figure coming directly to the source might be a better idea!

I am planning on getting a Russian tortoise within the next month or so and have some questions about the lighting I will need. I was hoping to get some opinions from the more experienced owners as to which set up they prefer.

I am currently deciding between two options:

1) a Zoo Med Powersun, 160 watts
2) a Zoo Med ReptiSun 5.0 Fluorescent UVB, 36" + a Zoo Med ReptiHalogen Heat Lamp, 100 watts

With both options I will have a low wattage ceramic heat emitter for night time and if needed, a second light to keep the enclosure bright. My tortoise enclosure is 33" x 41" and 16" high. Will these options be sufficient?

I live in Canada and wont be getting the tortoise until at least mid-September so it wont be able to be outside much until at least the new year.

Any input is welcome! Thank you :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think most tortoises do much better outside, hence no need for lighting...however, when I do have to have an indoor habitat, I prefer the Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB). The brand that I use is the Zoo Med Powersun. I buy the 100Watt because any bigger is just too hot.

I hardly ever use heat at night in the house, especially for Russians. They need a cool down at night, and most houses don't get that cold, but if you need night time heat, a 100 watt ceramic heat emitter (CHE) will do nicely.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
I do exactly the same thing as Yvonne.

sammy5

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it!
It seems like everyone likes the MVB so I`ll go with the ZooMed PowerSun 100w!

Thanks again! :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Whispers; Oh, but I vote for option #2. :p
The tube light makes the enclosure brighter and spreads UVB over a larger area. Also allows you to adjust the heat lamp wattage separately.

Sneaks away.

sammy5

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
Whispers; Oh, but I vote for option #2. :p
The tube light makes the enclosure brighter and spreads UVB over a larger area. Also allows you to adjust the heat lamp wattage separately.

Sneaks away.

Oh no! I didn't mean to exclude your opinion haha :)
I do like the idea of being able to adjust the heat lamp separately like you mentioned.

Earlier, I had thought that this second setup was also good because if a bulb were to blow at work, my tortoise would still be left with something to get him through the day. Whereas with an MVB I'm worried that he would be left with nothing until I was able to get home and replace the bulb.

Is this even something to be worried about??

Thanks again!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Either one will work, so I'm not voting. :p

All posters have good valid points and any of the above should work just fine for a russian.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
sammy5 said:
Earlier, I had thought that this second setup was also good because if a bulb were to blow at work, my tortoise would still be left with something to get him through the day. Whereas with an MVB I'm worried that he would be left with nothing until I was able to get home and replace the bulb.

Thanks again!

Probably not something you need to worry about, as long as your house isn't ice cold, and someone is checking on him daily.

I do think UV is even more important for those persons living in the more Northern climates with limited months outside, whichever one you choose.

sammy5

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Either one will work, so I'm not voting. :p

All posters have good valid points and any of the above should work just fine for a russian.

Thanks for your input Tom! Knowing that both are okay for a Russian definitely puts me more at ease with whichever option I decide to go with.

lynnedit said:
sammy5 said:

Thanks again!

Probably not something you need to worry about, as long as your house isn't ice cold, and someone is checking on him daily.

I do think UV is even more important for those persons living in the more Northern climates with limited months outside, whichever one you choose.

My place is definitely more on the warm side than cool so I won't worry about that any longer!
I plan on getting him out in the sun as much as possible, in fact I just purchased his outdoor enclosure yesterday. Thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.