Can A Russian Tortoise Bask TOO Much??!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortilla1989

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Hello, Quick ?

My Russian Tortoise for the past week has been living under the heat lamp, day and night. She never used to bask for long periods of time.
I have a zoo med Powersun with both heat and UVB for the lighting and I just wanted to know if this was safe.. or curious why she is doing this?
She cannot be cold the temp. is 105 and I never keep the house lower then 72 degrees. She looks likes she is almost getting a "Tan" from all this sun : )

Is it okay for a Russian Tortoise to get this much "Sun"?
Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!

_Tortilla_

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Does she have any signs of illness such as lethargy, lack of appetite, runny nose, or trouble breathing? Torts will sometimes try to elevate their body temp when they get sick. If she's not sick, then she may just really like the lamp. Basking under the lamp for long periods should be okay given that: 1.) She is kept well-hydrated; and 2.) She has shaded areas/hides and water in cooler locations within the enclosure that she can easily access to cool off when she needs to.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Usually this indicates temps are too low, but that appears to not be the case with your enclosure. How are you measuring the temp? Is there a flat basking rock or slate of some sort under the heat lamp? I'm just guessing, but maybe the cooler substrate underneath is pulling the heat out of here faster than the overhead bulb is warming here. Can you use your temp gun to get a carapace and plastron temp during basking?

Tortilla1989

5 Year Member
Chicago
mctlong said:
Does she have any signs of illness such as lethargy, lack of appetite, runny nose, or trouble breathing? Torts will sometimes try to elevate their body temp when they get sick. If she's not sick, then she may just really like the lamp. Basking under the lamp for long periods should be okay given that: 1.) She is kept well-hydrated; and 2.) She has shaded areas/hides and water in cooler locations within the enclosure that she can easily access to cool off when she needs to.

She hasn't been eating much lately and sleeping a lot, I just assumed that was her way of hibernating, but then she wouldnt be sitting under the basking lamp all day and night. She is showing no other signs of illness in that way. I give her "Bath time" every two days.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
What are your temps? Humidity? What are you feeding her? We need to know as much as you can tell us in order to help. :)

Sorry I just saw the temps you mentioned. 105 is actually a little warm for a Russian, and heir night time temp should get down to between 58 and 65. But I don't think being too warm would cause her to bask more.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Tortilla1989 said:
mctlong said:

She hasn't been eating much lately and sleeping a lot, I just assumed that was her way of hibernating, but then she wouldnt be sitting under the basking lamp all day and night. She is showing no other signs of illness in that way. I give her "Bath time" every two days.

She doesn't sound sick, although I'd keep a close eye on her to see if any symptoms arise. The lowered activity levels and increased sleeping sounds like a thermal issue. Its how torts behave when they're cold. The temps you gave are good, but are you sure they are correct? Could there be a problem with the thermometer? Do you have another thermometer or temp gun you could use to confirm that the measurements are correct? (Make sure you're taking the temp at the substrate level.)

Tom suggested taking a carapace and plastron temp during basking. Have you tried this?

I assume that she is basking on substrate or a tile/stone under the light, correct? She's not lying in a water dish while basking, is that a correct assumption?

Tortilla1989

5 Year Member
Chicago
Tom said:
Usually this indicates temps are too low, but that appears to not be the case with your enclosure. How are you measuring the temp? Is there a flat basking rock or slate of some sort under the heat lamp? I'm just guessing, but maybe the cooler substrate underneath is pulling the heat out of here faster than the overhead bulb is warming here. Can you use your temp gun to get a carapace and plastron temp during basking?

Hey Tom, Your responses are always so helpful I must say and appreciate your dedication to this Tort Forum.
I am using a heat and humidity thermometer I bought from petco, the heat reads 100 degrees and the humidity around 40%
There is no rock or slate just coconut coir and sand mixture, (she does bury herself pretty good in it)

*Do you recommend using a slate or flag stone under basking lamp? I thought the slate would get too hot.

*I keep reading about these "temp guns" what exactly are they? and how are they different or better then a regular round thermometer?

Again, Thank you SO much for your help and advice.

_Tortilla_

Spn785 said:
What are your temps? Humidity? What are you feeding her? We need to know as much as you can tell us in order to help. :)

Sorry I just saw the temps you mentioned. 105 is actually a little warm for a Russian, and heir night time temp should get down to between 58 and 65. But I don't think being too warm would cause her to bask more.

During the day the temp is 100-105 degrees and Humidity around 30-40%
At night it does drop down to around 70.. I wasn't afraid so much of the heat I know Russians can tolerate a lot of heat, but was worried about the light exposure, her legs look like they literally got sunburnt! Never seen or heard of this before. Is it possible the Powersun Bulb can be too strong for a Tortoise when used for 12 hours daily?

Thanks for your help!
_Tortilla_

She doesn't sound sick, although I'd keep a close eye on her to see if any symptoms arise. The lowered activity levels and increased sleeping sounds like a thermal issue. Its how torts behave when they're cold. The temps you gave are good, but are you sure they are correct? Could there be a problem with the thermometer? Do you have another thermometer or temp gun you could use to confirm that the measurements are correct? (Make sure you're taking the temp at the substrate level.)

Tom suggested taking a carapace and plastron temp during basking. Have you tried this?

I assume that she is basking on substrate or a tile/stone under the light, correct? She's not lying in a water dish while basking, is that a correct assumption?
[/quote]

She is not laying in a water dish, just sand and soil mixture.
The Thermometers could be wrong... they are just the Petco brand two pack Temp/ Humidity. What is this "Temp Gun" I looked for one at Menards and the pet store, not sure what it is exactly.. I thought of using a thermometer from the Garden Section at home depot.
* What is the best Thermometer for heat and humidity?
SO the Thermometer and humidity gauge should be level with the substrate correct? I have mine a few inches higher...

I am currently building a Tort Table so I will make sure to place the Thermometers lower this time.

Thank YOU!
_Tortilla_

Status
Not open for further replies.