18months later

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jersey C.I.
i hatched this little one among others 18 months ago and i have been really careful with their diet.its not the first time i have raised leopards these are definately the best shape though.i just hope i have finally got things right at last.this is the same tortoise at a couple of days old and again at 18 months.
terry
11908019Small.jpg

28310017Small.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's some pretty nice, smooth growth! Good job!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Wow, that's a huge change in the coloring. Is that typical for Leopards or for all tortoises?

Are the lightish "auras" on the edges of the scutes considered "marbling"?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Nice smooth growth!! Leopards are gorgeous- especially that one!
I agree, share your secrets! ;)

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
hi,thanks for looking and for the nice comments.i have no secrets just a combination of a healthy natural diet and good quality uv.with hatchlings hydration is very important.i had tried them with a humid hide but i found that most of them dont use it so i binned it months ago.
terry

JourneyTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
terrypin said:
hi,thanks for looking and for the nice comments.i have no secrets just a combination of a healthy natural diet and good quality uv.with hatchlings hydration is very important.i had tried them with a humid hide but i found that most of them dont use it so i binned it months ago.
terry

So what did you do differently this time around compared to previous? Was there anything specific that you changed?

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
JourneyTort said:
terrypin said:
terry

So what did you do differently this time around compared to previous? Was there anything specific that you changed?

i now start them off on coarse weeds and chopped grasses from day one.previously i have found it very difficult to change their diet even after a few months when they are eating well and established.i also use a combi lamp these of course werent available to me in 1996 when i got my first cb hatchlings.
terry

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I am new to Leopard torts, but i have a hatchling and he/she has lots of white coming in, yours has no white, I wonder why?

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
terracolson said:
I am new to Leopard torts, but i have a hatchling and he/she has lots of white coming in, yours has no white, I wonder why?
their colour changes as they grow and the marbling develops. the next picture is of this one a few months ago.also when they are small some can look very different even from the same hatch.as they grow they normally become very similar.i have heard that if they are kept warmer as youngsters they can show more pale growth this does eventually darken,personally i prefer mine to have a more natural look as close as possible to a wild caught animal.so this one a few months ago then a couple of others showing different stages of growth.
terry
22209003Small.jpg

22209024Small.jpg

31809002Small-2.jpg

161208007Small.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.