1st closed chamber attempt

Kane Durrant

Please criticise first attempt nothing in there yet, will be for hatchling sulcata, it is all wood exempt the front is very thick plastic managed to hold 85% humidity and over 80 constantly with a 125w mvb and 100w che! Any alteration I should make or could do better next attempt thanks a lot kaneImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442429791.347576.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442429805.332757.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442429825.409906.jpg

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
How many hours a day is your MVB on for? I'm honestly surprised you can keep 125w on for 12-14 hours a day in an enclosed space without it getting really hot.

How did you waterproof the wood? How deep is your substrate?

Kane Durrant

I do have an 80w mvb also, it rises to low 90sin the warm during the day.
6 inches in most parts and there is a cut up pond liner between the wood and the substrate

Kane Durrant

How many hours a day is your MVB on for? I'm honestly surprised you can keep 125w on for 12-14 hours a day in an enclosed space without it getting really hot.

How did you waterproof the wood? How deep is your substrate?
I can maintain the same basking spot temp with the 80 I was advised to get the 125 by an 'expert' I can trial either have plenty of time before he will take ownership

JoshSloane

Nice work. I am building my closed chamber currently as well. I absolutely wish I could use a MVB, but dropped the idea after everyone said it would get too hot.

What are the dimensions of your enclosure?

Has anyone successfully used the 100w powersun in a closed chamber with success?

Kane Durrant

Nice work. I am building my closed chamber currently as well. I absolutely wish I could use a MVB, but dropped the idea after everyone said it would get too hot.

What are the dimensions of your enclosure?

Has anyone successfully used the 100w powersun in a closed chamber with success?
Thanks mate I have switched it out to the 80w and I don't understand when you say gets too hot mine doesn't get too hot at all, and it is 30 inches high 60 inches long 30 width

JoshSloane

The reason I bring it up is that Tom mentioned that he hasn't had much luck with a MVB in a closed chamber setting, being that it got too hot.

I would love to be able to use a MVB and not use strip tubes, but I worry about dedicating the little sulcata

Kane Durrant

The reason I bring it up is that Tom mentioned that he hasn't had much luck with a MVB in a closed chamber setting, being that it got too hot.

I would love to be able to use a MVB and not worry about the strip tubes, but worry about dedicating the little sulcata
Well with the 80w the basking spot is 95-105 and hot end ambient never goes over 85 or below 80, first I've heard about them being too hot but Tom knows a hell of a lot more than me but the 80w seems ok

JoshSloane

Yeah, I only have access to the 100w powersun though. Probably just going to go with the flood lamp instead, and suck it up and mount a UVB strip light inside too.