1st Post/New Tort Dad from GA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homer

5 Year Member
Well, I took a day off from work to welcome the newest addition to my zoological family. He is a sulcata baby whose name is Homer. He got a good soaking in warm water about five minutes after the FedEx delivery this morning. Once, in his enclosure, he walked like eight inches and passed out. Kind of worried he was sick, but after a 45 minute nap, he woke up bright-eyed and bushy tailed and has been non-stop eating (Spring Mix/w added endive) and exploring his new cage.

I would like to first thank this forum for all the information and links that are provided. I have been researching tort care for almost a month. Currently Homer is enjoying about 65% humidity with a substrate temperature of 84 degrees. :p

Secondly, I would like to thank LLLreptile for being a great place to get supplies and Homer. Their specialty lamps were half the price of the big box pet stores here in Atlanta. And their staff was very friendly with any questions I had about my order.

I look forward to posting about Homer in the Sulcata Central forum, and continually learning more about sulcata care or husbandry if trying to impress my neighbors. :D

Thanks to everyone again,

Brian

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Brian:

2337086yf6at5buy4.gif

to the forum!

Good for you to have done your homework before getting your little tortoise!! So glad to have you here with us.

Yvonne

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Welcome Brian and Homer! Congratulations on your new baby Brian and good for you for researching before purchasing:)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Welcome to the forum Brian and congratulations on your new little one :)
Do you have any pics of homer :)

Stitch

5 Year Member
Corona ,CA
I can't wait to see pics of this guy! Congrats and welcome !

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum Brian :)

Danny

M

Maggie Cummings

Welcome...see if you can up his temp closer to 85-90 and a little more humidity.

Homer

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
Welcome...see if you can up his temp closer to 85-90 and a little more humidity.

The humidity is a constant battle, but it never falls below 60%, but it seems hard to get it above 75%.

The temp was at 84 at that time but it eventually peters out at 87. :)

Brian

Melicia

5 Year Member
South africa
Welcome! I have not been on the forum long, but I do know Photobucket. Under the picture you want to use, click on the 'edit', it will open up your pic in the editing window. Resizing to about medium should be about ok. Save according to your preverence.

Should do the trick!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Such a sweet tiny baby! I love the photo where he seems to be climbing into his high-sided food dish. It's amazing to think he's going to be a Bob-sized Sulcata some day. I wonder how many years it takes for a Sulcata to reach full size?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Congrats and welcome to the forum! Can we see more pictures of the entire enclosure? Hope to chat more with you soon.

Homer

5 Year Member
Thanks for the kind words everybody. People always warn you about how big sulcatas get, but they never warn you about how small they can be as babies. :D

As suggested by some experienced tort people, I totally understand why a 1 yr. old or older might be a better option with less worry. But I am totally enjoying the experience, and doing my best to micro-manage Homer's environment.

Brian

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Not sure why I'm so delayed, but a very warm welcome to you and Homer. I look forward to seeing his pics and updates on him. He is a lovely little baby. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.