2 questions regarding bulbs.

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hello all, I'm buying some new bulbs, and have decided to go for a fluorescent tube and a CHE.

Here's my questions:
1) what wattage tube will I need and is there a specific brand that's best?

2) do you think tho CHE looks any good? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442255751.371236.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1442255763.410547.jpg
It's ultra slim.

Thanks.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
I am using a repti glow 5-0 at thr moment but i am also using a 100 w PowerSun MV bulb and got CHE,s for the night

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
With fluorescent, the wattage depends on the type/size of the tube and is not something you usually need to worry about as long as your bulb matches/works with your fixture. Arcadia is one of the better spoken of brands for tubes.

With CHE, I usually go with any of the name brands instead of buying the cheaper ones you can find online. I figure it may be a little more expensive but there's probably a little more QC that way and if there is a problem I think it'd be easier to get a hold of someone.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like and use the Arcadia 12% HO bulbs. They make a lot of UV, so they must be mounted far enough away. The wattage will vary with the size you get. If you must mount the bulb within 10-12" of the tortoise, then get a "regular" 10.0 bulb and not the HO type.

Just get the fixture that matches the bulb you get. I get mine here: http://www.lightyourreptiles.com

I've never seen that type of CHE. If you decide to try it, let us know if it is reliable and effective.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
One of the big differences in tube type lighting is the bulb diameter. Oddly the smaller diameter bulbs put out the UV for a longer period before recommended replacement.

I use T5 HO and follow the guide from the bulb manufacture, either Arcadia and/or ZooMed. You can get reliable single and multi bulb fixtures from indoor plant stores with reflectors at a lower costs than the reptile labeled ones, they do the same job.

For actual replacement and distance the only reliable way with greater certainty than following manufacture directions is to get a meter and check the output yourself.

Here is a link to a good explanation of the two ways to measure UV. http://www.arcadia-reptile.com/how-uv-meter/

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
White Python is a British company which I have heard of, but never used, though it would probably be easier for you to deal with if you have a problem than an American brand. I would happily buy one myself.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
I've got some of them CHE's, and they work fine,the only problem I had was that I wanted to put it one of the dome shades ,like on the clamp lamps,because I keep hitting my head on it and burning my hair,lol,but it wouldnt screw in because it was too short
Spud are you in the UK