20 New Red Ear Sliders

orv

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aguanga, CA
This AM we added 20 New Red Ear Slider Sliders and 1 Cooter to our resort's ponds. We have 6 fairly large ponds where we live. We split up the RESs between two of the ponds while we added the Cooter to another. I wanted the Cooter kept separated to prevent hybridization. Unfortunately, I noticed that one of the sliders was deformed, probably due to a lack of sunlight and proper calcium. This probable male has reached about 7 inches in length, so this developmental problem has been long term - shame on those who kept this one improperly. These turtles were received through the California Tortoise and Turtle Club in San Diego, about 90 minute drive from our home in Aguanga. Their representative was kind enough to drive all the way out here and help me introduce our newest residents to their new home. They took to the water with alacrity, their heads bobbing up almost immediately. The San Diego CTTC still has another 20 or so available, but I didn't want to over populate our ponds. I'm trying to save our other three ponds for other turtles, such as Painter Turtles, or whatever else may be tempting in the future. I've wanted to begin this project for nearly two years now. The next warm weather we have, the turtles and I can sit out in the sunshine and just bask. Ahhh.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
This AM we added 20 New Red Ear Slider Sliders and 1 Cooter to our resort's ponds. We have 6 fairly large ponds where we live. We split up the RESs between two of the ponds while we added the Cooter to another. I wanted the Cooter kept separated to prevent hybridization. Unfortunately, I noticed that one of the sliders was deformed, probably due to a lack of sunlight and proper calcium. This probable male has reached about 7 inches in length, so this developmental problem has been long term - shame on those who kept this one improperly. These turtles were received through the California Tortoise and Turtle Club in San Diego, about 90 minute drive from our home in Aguanga. Their representative was kind enough to drive all the way out here and help me introduce our newest residents to their new home. They took to the water with alacrity, their heads bobbing up almost immediately. The San Diego CTTC still has another 20 or so available, but I didn't want to over populate our ponds. I'm trying to save our other three ponds for other turtles, such as Painter Turtles, or whatever else may be tempting in the future. I've wanted to begin this project for nearly two years now. The next warm weather we have, the turtles and I can sit out in the sunshine and just bask. Ahhh.
Sounds like a nice project. Congratualtions on the new turtles. I'm sure lots of people will enjoy them.

I do believe you will find the red-ears will not hybridize with the cooters. Although male red-ears will probably be indiscriminate about their aggressions and "fore-play", There will not be offspring hybrids. Red-ears with yellow bellies, sure! or with Cumberlain Sliders, you bet! But it would take a very rare event indeed for the chromosomes of a red-ear (Trachemys) to successfully match any Pseudemys.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
Sounds like a nice project. Congratualtions on the new turtles. I'm sure lots of people will enjoy them.

I do believe you will find the red-ears will not hybridize with the cooters. Although male red-ears will probably be indiscriminate about their aggressions and "fore-play", There will not be offspring hybrids. Red-ears with yellow bellies, sure! or with Cumberlain Sliders, you bet! But it would take a very rare event indeed for the chromosomes of a red-ear (Trachemys) to successfully match any Pseudemys.
MARK: I truly appreciate you input. Because of their many physical similarities, I just didn't know or want to take a chance. Thanks again.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

How wonderful!!! [emoji2][emoji173]️[emoji2][emoji173]️[emoji2][emoji173]️

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Very cool, can we see some pics?