Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I attended the Turtle and Tortoise Preservation Group's annual conference again this year and it was every bit as good as last years. I saw some fantastic presentations and learned at least a little, if not a lot, from each one. There were roughly 50 people in attendance there this year. I even met Tim from here on TFO. Hi Tim!

Here is the speaker and subject list:

DAY 1:
Ryan Walker, "The Tortoise Crisis In Madagascar" (This guy is a field researcher)
Mike Rapley, "Breeding The Japanese Leaf Turtle, Geoemyda japonica"
Drew Rheinhardt, "How NOT to produces waffles: Raising Healthy Mediterranean Tortoises" (Unconventional for Meds)
Richard Fife, "Searching For Giant Leopard Tortoises in Ethiopia" (They found some)
Jerry Fife, "Breeding Galapagos Tortoises" (He did it!!! 4 hatchlings)
Gary Fleming DVM, "Turtle Nutrition"
Cris Hagen, "Current Status of Cuora sp..."
Kurt Edwards, "Maintaining a Large Collection Indoors"
Gary Fleming, "Beak Trimming Demonstration"
Jerry Fife, "Sperm Retention in African Spurred Tortoises" (Its not very long...)
Bill Love, "Tortoises of Madagascar" (Showed where all four species come from)
All of this was followed by a special Pyxis round table meeting.

DAY 2:
Cris Hagen, "Keeping and Breeding Map Turtles"
Paul Vander Schouw, "Keeping and Breeding Williams' Side-Necked Turtles"
Barry Downer, "A Breeding Program for Aldabra Tortoises" (Very informative and interesting)
Michael Ogle, "Notes on the Keeping and Breeding of the Spiny Turtle, Heosemys spinosa"
And at Sunday's lunch banquet: Tomas Diagne, "The Tortoise Village in Senegal and Saving Endangered Turtles in Africa"

This is a fantastic group. Field researchers, zoo keepers and private breeders all working together and sharing info in the interest of promoting successful keeping and propagation of our beloved chelonians. Each presentation was full of amazing, illustrative pics, personal observations and tips and each one was followed by Q and A from the group. Often I picked up the best tid-bits during the Q&A. It was fascinating learning about what goes on in the world even with the species that I'm not all that interested in.

I highly recommend this conference to anyone with any interest in turtles and tortoises. It is worth the effort to go there and meet these people.

I intend to do some individual threads on some of these topics and share what I learned.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Tom was dreamy, as always (Tom, I still owe you lunch, don't let me forget).

I had a fun time in Phx, nice to meet Tim, finally.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
Tom said:
I attended the Turtle and Tortoise Preservation Group's annual conference again this year and it was every bit as good as last years. I saw some fantastic presentations and learned at least a little, if not a lot, from each one. There were roughly 50 people in attendance there this year. I even met Tim from here on TFO. Hi Tim!

Here is the speaker and subject list:

DAY 1:
Ryan Walker, "The Tortoise Crisis In Madagascar" (This guy is a field researcher)
Mike Rapley, "Breeding The Japanese Leaf Turtle, Geoemyda japonica"
Drew Rheinhardt, "How NOT to produces waffles: Raising Healthy Mediterranean Tortoises" (Unconventional for Meds)
Richard Fife, "Searching For Giant Leopard Tortoises in Ethiopia" (They found some)
Jerry Fife, "Breeding Galapagos Tortoises" (He did it!!! 4 hatchlings)
Gary Fleming DVM, "Turtle Nutrition"
Cris Hagen, "Current Status of Cuora sp..."
Kurt Edwards, "Maintaining a Large Collection Indoors"
Gary Fleming, "Beak Trimming Demonstration"
Jerry Fife, "Sperm Retention in African Spurred Tortoises" (Its not very long...)
Bill Love, "Tortoises of Madagascar" (Showed where all four species come from)
All of this was followed by a special Pyxis round table meeting.

DAY 2:
Cris Hagen, "Keeping and Breeding Map Turtles"
Paul Vander Schouw, "Keeping and Breeding Williams' Side-Necked Turtles"
Barry Downer, "A Breeding Program for Aldabra Tortoises" (Very informative and interesting)
Michael Ogle, "Notes on the Keeping and Breeding of the Spiny Turtle, Heosemys spinosa"
And at Sunday's lunch banquet: Tomas Diagne, "The Tortoise Village in Senegal and Saving Endangered Turtles in Africa"

This is a fantastic group. Field researchers, zoo keepers and private breeders all working together and sharing info in the interest of promoting successful keeping and propagation of our beloved chelonians. Each presentation was full of amazing, illustrative pics, personal observations and tips and each one was followed by Q and A from the group. Often I picked up the best tid-bits during the Q&A. It was fascinating learning about what goes on in the world even with the species that I'm not all that interested in.

I highly recommend this conference to anyone with any interest in turtles and tortoises. It is worth the effort to go there and meet these people.

I intend to do some individual threads on some of these topics and share what I learned.

That sounds like an awesome lineup of presentations & talks!!! Where was this located? Is there a website? Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Which "Tim" did you meet?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Did they mention anything about next years conference? if it would be at the same location?

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Wish I could've gone would have been cool to meet some people from TFO. Im definitely going to be there for next year though I cant miss another one.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I guess next year I will have to make a road trip if they keep it in arizona.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tyler you don't owe me nuthin". I still owe you.

Yvonne, it was Tim B. of "Tim/Robin" fame.

The conference was in Phoenix, AZ both last year and this year. No one mentioned where it would be next year, but since AZ is a bit of a tortoise Mecca, I would guess it will be there again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow...if Tim can come all the way from Idaho, I guess I have no excuses. If its in Arizona again next year, some of you SoCal's and I will have to meet someplace and go together.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
emysemys said:
Wow...if Tim can come all the way from Idaho, I guess I have no excuses. If its in Arizona again next year, some of you SoCal's and I will have to meet someplace and go together.
I like that idea.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Tom said:

The conference was in Phoenix, AZ both last year and this year. No one mentioned where it would be next year, but since AZ is a bit of a tortoise Mecca, I would guess it will be there again.

Especially if the Fifes have anything to say about it!;)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Tom said:

What a shame. It would be so much neater, if they did take it to different locations, so it is easier for everybody to make one atleast every couple of years.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
It was a great conference with a lot of info on Pyxis!! :) It was great to meet Tom, Tyler, Mick, and others. It was well worth the trip down. I got to pet a galap and see a recently hatched baby galap!! It was amazing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.