21 Years Is A Long Time To Wait (More New Pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
Last night I had a dream that you named her "Kyryah"
I clearly need to spend some time away from the forum :p

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
HAH!! OMG, I love it!!!

When you start dreaming about being online, that might be a bit scary :D

tortoisedna

5 Year Member
Congratulation!
What a wonder thing to see the baby tortoise hatched!

matt41gb

5 Year Member
Arlington TX.
egyptiandan said:
To get a hatchling :p Waiting for a female, than waiting for her to become adult, than figuring out how to incubate the eggs. So here she is :D after 224 days of waiting and 21 years in the making My very first Chaco tortoise hatchling wants to say hi to the world.
P1013304.jpg

P1013305.jpg

P1013306.jpg

P1013307.jpg

P1013308.jpg

Danny

Congrats man!!! I swear in every picture I see a man bent over wearing blue jeans with his crack hanging out. I guess that's just your knees. lol

-Matt

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
RE: 21 Years Is A Long Time To Wait

egyptiandan said:
Thanks Everyone :)

Most of that 21 years was trying to find a female. :p I had a female 12 years ago. But before she could settle in and lay, something took her head off while she was outside. :( I only got the female that laid the eggs 4 years ago. I had to raise her to adult size and 2 years ago was the first year she laid. I hadn't figured out what needed to be done to get the eggs to break diapause that year, so they all went bad. This past year it seems that I've gotten it right with one egg and trying hard with 3 more. These last 3 were laid in October of last year and I've had to cool them down twice to try to break the diapause. Hopefully they will start developing now. If they do they won't hatch till September, making it almost a year after they were laid. :D

Danny

First...CONGRATS!

Second...Just curious...where do you live, because I'd be willing to bet raccoons did in your first female...they ALWAYS go for the head...that sucks and I'm sorry for you to have to endure that!

But here's to GREAT luck getting the rest of the eggs to hatch out!

OOPS! Just saw dmmj's post...so there you have it!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Thanks Everyone :D

I'm sure it's possible that it was a raccoon, but my experience with raccoons is that they usually chew off legs. Tortoises and turtles can hide their heads pretty well. It's the legs that are the most vulnerable.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.