2nd level in enclosure?

Deek

Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, Ca
I have two California desert tortoises who have the run or our entire backyard. Our backyard has a steep slope that goes up to a school yard above our yard (with a chainlink fence), and they climb up that with no problem (close to 100% slope or almost 45 degree angle). One of our tortoises has wanderlust. We had her escape 3 times when we first rescued them. The first time, she climbed over a 12" board, using the side of the house and small, flat mini-encloser my husband built for them to get out of the sun, midday (like 5" tall, by 24" x 24"). The second time, she went into the neighbors yard, through a 3" wide gap between the wood fence that is perpendicular to the chainlink of the school. She was about 6" wide in her shell size, so we thought it was a nonissue, but the little bugger got herself sideways and scooted along the chainlink through the crack. The third time she dug her way under one of the "fences' in one afternoon, in hardpan, clay soil. Needless to say, that was years ago, and we fixed the yard so our escape artist could not do so anymore. Now, these are Desert Tortoises, but they can definitely climb. Ours are very curious and would love to have more places to explore, though they are more privileged than most because our backyard is 60' x 40'. But "tortoising" and flipping on their backs is a danger, so any second level, which has no sides would need one, and so too a ramp.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
What about adding to the enclosure you have to make an L shape to fit in a corner?

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Unlike @Tom this is my cup of tea :)

I built a really big two story enclosure for some of my adult elegans. They definitely used the 2nd story daily. In my humble opinion, it is an excellent way to add square feet in a limited footprint.

My build thread…

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/8’-x-3’-x-2’-two-story-xpvc-build.184725/