3 1/2 month old Pepé, growing like a weed now

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEEEETE

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Vacaville, CA
Just wanted to pop in and share some updated photos with you all. My little guy is 3 1/2 months old in the pictures, and he is growing about 2 grams a day now. His shell looks smooth, and getting high peaked now, so I'm really excited to see him take off in his growth. He's 120 grams as he sits right now. I got his at 2 weeks old and he weighed 35 grams

StEln.jpg

zmlL0.jpg

XAWdV.jpg

eRWcS.jpg

qmI19.jpg

And his enclosure. I need to replace the vegetation, since he's eaten most all of the Tortoise level greenery.
TLXSI.jpg

Thank you to all of you here on TFO for the info to get him this healthy. He eats radish tops, dandelion greens, endive, red cabbage, petunias, pansies, collard greens, carrot tops, turnip tops, opuntia cactus, and ripe red prickly pears now and then. I also just picked up some Mazuri for the first time this weekend at the Sacramento Reptile Show, and he loved that this morning.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Very nice, you will be making his humid hide entrance larger soon, lol...

PEEEETE

5 Year Member
Vacaville, CA
Thanks guys! Yeah, I'll be upgrading to a larger humid hihede very soon. I don't have any experience raising other sulcatas, but he seems heavy for his age. No complaints here, I'm looking forward to the giant that he will become

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Can tell from his mouth that he is eating his greens!! He looks really nice.

B

byerssusan

Very nice. Can I ask what the bottle in the dirt is for? Makes me think it's to keep the substrate wet. I use to do that when I grew tomatoes while living in the east. I would put a gallon jug of water..dig it into the ground only letting a few inches above ground show ..putting holes in the bottom. Filling it with water to keep constant mositure...If that's not what it's for now I am wondering if something like that could be done for a tort enclosure..hmm

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
byerssusan said:
Very nice. Can I ask what the bottle in the dirt is for? Makes me think it's to keep the substrate wet. I use to do that when I grew tomatoes while living in the east. I would put a gallon jug of water..dig it into the ground only letting a few inches above ground show ..putting holes in the bottom. Filling it with water to keep constant mositure...If that's not what it's for now I am wondering if something like that could be done for a tort enclosure..hmm

That's.. A really good idea!!

PEEEETE

5 Year Member
Vacaville, CA
I needed something there for a while, because he kept trying to climb that corner and was flipping while I was at work. I just happened to have like 6 squirt bottles for moisture of the cage, so I figured I could spare one. Wouldn't your idea just cause all the water to just run out the holes in the bottom, right away?

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey Pepe, your a big boy now! His enclosure looks great. Two thumbs up!!

B

byerssusan

Well if the substrate was moist to begin with..And the holes you put in the bottom are like a little bigger than a pin hole..I would think it would just soak up the moisture it needed. I might try this on a smaller scale. I know it works with plants. I had forgotten that I did that for our tomatos. We had over 6 ft tomato plants doing that.

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
wow he looks great. I can't believe that your little guy weighs more than my 7month old.....she finally broke into triple digits on Sunday. She weighed in at 105g.

PEEEETE

5 Year Member
Vacaville, CA
jesst said:
wow he looks great. I can't believe that your little guy weighs more than my 7month old.....she finally broke into triple digits on Sunday. She weighed in at 105g.

Yeah, the vet even sais he felt heavy for his size at 3 weeks. I have no frame of reference, so I wasn't sure if he was normal or not. He grows at least a gram a day now, usually 2 a day. He's 125 grams as of last night. I always weigh him after a soak and he has (usually) 2 poops. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.