3 month old tort not growing?

Peliroja32

Location (City and/or State)
Biloxi, Mississippi
Ok so i finally found the hatch date, tortoise town says it was on or around march 2nd. Which means little Chele is about 3 and a half months, but he just now weighs 33g. Almost but not quite 2 and a half inches long. Chele Eats good, poops good, is fairly active.
Should i still be worried or just slow grower?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Whatever the case is here, your course of action is the same. Give your baby the best care possible, and hope for the best. No sense in worrying.

daniellenc

Maryland
If they're eating, pooping, and peeing daily you are fine. Double check the amount of food you're providing is adequate and don't worry. I've had slower growing animals and they all catch up.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Agree with the above, Chele is ... Chele! Growing at his own rate. On the pictures meal portion sizes look great. How much of that pile will he consume in one sitting? And how many feedings per day? Poops look ok? Well digested? See any worms in it? If all checks negative than just enjoy him being tiny. Once he gets going he will never be this cute any more:)

Peliroja32

Biloxi, Mississippi
He eats maybe 1/4 of it at first but goes back off and on for nibbles. I give him fresh plate 3 times a day and mist with water for extra hydration. Poops look normal

Peliroja32

Biloxi, Mississippi
Chele's been pretty much the same. Hes up to 34g now! Still eats good and poops good, fairly active. I have been reaching in and moving him to his food plate a few times throughout the day. In case he just forgets to eat. Every time i do he eats a little so that makes me feel a little better

Ramsey

5 Year Member
San Diego California
Chele's been pretty much the same. Hes up to 34g now! Still eats good and poops good, fairly active. I have been reaching in and moving him to his food plate a few times throughout the day. In case he just forgets to eat. Every time i do he eats a little so that makes me feel a little better

That's alright. Sounds like you have found a routine. That's what matters most. From what I've learned, the torts themselves take a little "settling in period"; almost reminds me of transplanting delicate flowers. There's the important fragile stage.

Another thing I've learned is that sometimes "less is more". My daughter's dragon is the healthiest creature at home and he's cared for the least!

Best wishes and looking forward to updates.

Peliroja32

Biloxi, Mississippi
Heres an update on Chélé. He still eats good and is active, but still hovering around 33-34g weight. Last i measured he was 1/8 from being 2 inches long. No other symptoms to be noticed just not gaining weight or growing consistantly.
I had been finely chopping his greens, then per advice recieved started mixing that in with his mazuri. He seemed to eat that more for a while. Then decided he did not want that, nor the previous chooped greens and mazura aside. Nope he wants leaves. Tears into them, and cactus he goes crazy over some cactus. But still remains at practically the same weight.
Every so often i will weigh him every day after morning soak, just out of curiosity. I sometimes see a gram gain, only for it to return to the previous.

Kasia

Poland
Did you had his poop examined for worms? If not I would check it. It's cheap, non invasive and could be a cause of him not gaining weight.

Kasia

Poland
Make sure the sample is as fresh as it can be and don't keep it in the fridge. :)

Peliroja32

Biloxi, Mississippi
Ok. Went to the vet around the corner but they said since parasites can be different from the usual dogs and cats they treat, they cant do it but gave me a number to a clinic that has an exotic expert there. Gonna have to wait til friday to make an appt though

Peliroja32

Biloxi, Mississippi
Ok a little update on Chele. Still seems like hes not gaining much, and not growing. Looking at his weight chart there is an increase but i feel its really slow. I finally got ahold of the local vet and will be taking him in monday.
I was chatting with my aunt teresaf and i hadn't noticed but it appears maybe he is starting to pyramid..... so perhaps thats why he doesnt seem to get bigger. But this wouldnt account for such little weight gain would it?