3 month Tortoise lethargic

Karabear95

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hi everyone! I noticed today my sulcata tortoise hatchling was a little lethargic. He ate breakfast fine, got his two ten minute soaks (morning and afternoon) and he used the bathroom during. However, he hasn’t moved much today in general and he didn’t want his second meal; and he ALWAYS wants to eat. I’m worried as I’ve never seen this behavior in him before, he’s usually quite the active little guy. My temps are about 95 in the basking area and 85 in the cool area. Humidity is about 70. Could he be shedding? Any tips appreciated.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hi everyone! I noticed today my sulcata tortoise hatchling was a little lethargic. He ate breakfast fine, got his two ten minute soaks (morning and afternoon) and he used the bathroom during. However, he hasn’t moved much today in general and he didn’t want his second meal; and he ALWAYS wants to eat. I’m worried as I’ve never seen this behavior in him before, he’s usually quite the active little guy. My temps are about 95 in the basking area and 85 in the cool area. Humidity is about 70. Could he be shedding? Any tips appreciated.
Hey, welcome to the forum. How long have you had your tort and/or did you just get him recently? Some days hatchlings eat a lot; other days, not so much. Same with sleeping & activity. Is he pooping ok? Pictures of him & the enclosure & lighting might help experts narrow things down. Where did you get your tort? Missing a meal isn't serious absent other symptoms or problems. Are there any other symptoms other than appetite & reduced activity? We're here to help, but we need a little more info. And like I say, photos help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Along with what Jan A said, we need real temps and humidity, not "about".
Be sure to have a good thermometer you are reading temps with, digital is best not the puck like ones most let stores sell.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Along with what Jan A said, we need real temps and humidity, not "about".
Be sure to have a good thermometer you are reading temps with, digital is best not the puck like ones most let stores sell.

Yep. Exactly what I was going to type. People somehow always over estimate temperatures, especially down on the substrate where the tortoise is crawling about. Trust, but verify your temperatures. Check the location of your gauge(s), get an infrared point&shoot temp gun & check daily. Lastly, i would soak for more than 10 minutes (and make sure the water temps are good for soaking).