3 toed laid first egg in over twenty years

djblank

5 Year Member
For the last couple weeks my 3 toe box turtle that lives by herself hasn't been eating much and in her water pan instead of poo I would find a clear/white slime blob. Yesterday she laid a egg.

I bought her in 1987 she would lay eggs for the first few years I've had her. They never hatched and because all my turtles don't get along they all live separately. This one has always been considered the oldest just on appearance when I got her and now I've had her nearly 30 years. I always think of her as the "old lady".

What caused her to lay a egg after so many years? Because of her age I would prefer her not have to lay eggs, is there a way to prevent it?

ColleenT

Location (City and/or State)
Lehigh Valley Pa
from what i understand they can lay eggs their entire lives. i would not worry as long as she has a good weight and looks otherwise healthy. Feed her some earthworms, after that, she is probably hungry!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
How is she otherwise? I have a female leopard who was egg bound when I rescued her. Due to a calcium deficiency she had broken eggs and eggs that were not calcified. She would pass egg content in her soak. If your girl is not pooping or showing other symptoms she is not well, I would seek a vet for xrays. When mine had surgery the vet was going to fix her if needed, so she would not develop eggs in the future. Wasn't needed, and she produced 30 hatchlings this year.
Good luck!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
For the last couple weeks my 3 toe box turtle that lives by herself hasn't been eating much and in her water pan instead of poo I would find a clear/white slime blob. Yesterday she laid a egg.

I bought her in 1987 she would lay eggs for the first few years I've had her. They never hatched and because all my turtles don't get along they all live separately. This one has always been considered the oldest just on appearance when I got her and now I've had her nearly 30 years. I always think of her as the "old lady".

What caused her to lay a egg after so many years? Because of her age I would prefer her not have to lay eggs, is there a way to prevent it?
A very warm welcome to the forum!

Please post pics of your turtle as well as the eggs, so as to enable the experts here to help you more easily.

djblank

5 Year Member
I got her to eat some apple last week but she hasn't eaten since. She seem like herself otherwise.

Here's the egg when I found it. due to my work and sleep schedule it could be up to 18 hours old?20160825_172941.jpg

And here she is acting her usual shy self 20160828_162413.jpg