Egg laying troubles

Ferretinmyshoes

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Emmy is one of my favorite ornate box turtles. I bred her last summer and chose not to hibernate her this winter since she had a bout of bad respiratory illness when she woke up from hibernation last year. Well since she was under nice warm summer temps in her indoor setup she was ready to lay eggshells February! She was tearing up her bin which is unusual for her and is prompted me to take the X-ray. 4 eggs! Super excited!

But Emmy didn't make it easy...she didn't lay her eggs on her own despite box turtles almost always laying their eggs just fine or needing minimal intervention. I had to induce egg laying medically because it became clear they were in no rush to come out and if they're in there too long they can adhere to the oviduct. She laid two eggs almost immediately but there were still two more. Well one ended up getting stuck and started getting even bigger! Despite several attempts at medical induction she made no progress.

Since it was well and truly stuck she ended up needing endoscopy to go in and break the egg so it would collapse and be small enough that she could pass it. This is her getting scoped under sedation. I'll try to post the video. But she passed the collapsed egg waking up from sedation!

She laid the last egg on her own a few days later but one of the girls took a bite out of it before I found it. -_- But two good eggs in the incubator looking great so far!

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
And this is week four. Look how the vessels have grown to spread across the egg and the embryo is bigger!

And Emmy is doing fantastic. No worse for wear and pushing the other girls around at feeding times.
That's good news Emmy seems fine. I have had laying trouble with snakes before. It sucks when the good news of eggs unexpectedly costs the life or health of one of your females.

Ferretinmyshoes

5 Year Member
Colorado
That's good news Emmy seems fine. I have had laying trouble with snakes before. It sucks when the good news of eggs unexpectedly costs the life or health of one of your females.
Yeah it's horrible. I was ready to sacrifice all the eggs to save her if need be. Her health definitely came first. Fortunately this time I got best of both worlds.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Great documentation of an interesting story (with a thankfully happy ending). Thank you for sharing it!

Ferretinmyshoes

5 Year Member
Colorado
So I was a few days late for my weekly update picture and look what we have here! Last night there was just a little foot sticking out and this morning she's ready to run! Still has a big yolk sac so I'm leaving her in the warm, humid incubator until it absorbs.