eggs, Eggs, EGGS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
well... i checked the eggs today.. and the egg that was suppost to hatch first has split open... upon candling the fetus is far to small still to hatch so im assuming she will be a loss... :( so instead of the first egg hatching the beginning of may, im hoping the second clutch(of 1) will still hatch the middle of may :( sad day

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
turtlemann2 said:
well... i checked the eggs today.. and the egg that was suppost to hatch first has split open... upon candling the fetus is far to small still to hatch so im assuming she will be a loss... :( so instead of the first egg hatching the beginning of may, im hoping the second clutch(of 1) will still hatch the middle of may :( sad day

Oh no! I'm sooo sorry Scott ! Maybe she will just be a little premature ?

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Sorry to hear. Any idea why it split? I used to have split eggs, and I believe it was too wet conditions. I'be been keeping the substrate drier and had no splits since.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
the substrate its self is pretty dry but the humidity is 90%+ could this be the issue? and if so how do i reduce humidity without heat loss? hmmmmmm

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Oh Scott...so sorry to hear that!..Dang you spend so much time and energy and these little mistakes happen and its very sad!.:(.
is the split to much or is there a way you can brush liquid bandaid over it?..idk if it would help....

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
well it is just a small slit on the lower side, i dont think i could do anything to seal it persay, but it hasnt collapsed yet, im just waiting for the moment when i decide there is no hope left :(

WELL, i went to investigate the egg and this little fully formed hatchling starts waving at me! his yoke is quite small so at this point im going with he was a lazy lard and was simply sitting in the egg :) 1 down four to go! ill post pictures tomorrow :) (JOJO- of my entire turtle family) lol

Status
Not open for further replies.