Egg-laying behavior but no eggs?

DVirginiana

5 Year Member
I have an EBT that I've had for several years now, and each year she usually lays a clutch of eggs (they were infertile last year so I'm assuming they will be this year as well).
Anyway, yesterday I saw her digging with her back feet, which I always thought was egg-laying behavior. Today, there are no eggs, but she is acting completely fine. Not distressed at all.

Is this common, or am I misinterpreting the digging? If it was in fact egglaying behavior, how long should I wait before I get worried? Any symptoms I should look for? I have a reliable herp vet that I can go to if necessary.

I've never seen her digging with her back feet prior to laying eggs before, but I think that's what she's doing. I feel like I end up making a post like this every year, but I've had female herps die from being eggbound before, so I always get a bit paranoid when Turtle is laying eggs.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
She may still be getting ready to....hopefully some one will chime in with more experience!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
They sometimes dig a few test nests before actually finding the right spot to deposit the eggs.

DVirginiana

5 Year Member
Alright, thanks for the responses. Hopefully that's what she's doing.