3 year old Hermann keeps flipping

Cynthia Whitehead

Location (City and/or State)
Powder Springs
My mail 3 year old keeps flipping in his indoor enclosure. He's doing in on the sides which are flat and vertical. He's standing on his hind legs as far up as possible and flips and can't turn back over. He does this multiple times daily. I don't know what to do about it. I have to wait at night to be sure he has gone to sleep before I go to bed to make sure he doesn't flip. Any ideas what I can do?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello! If you would, please post some pictures of your enclosure, lights, and tortoise.

There are several reasons why torts do this, and we'll help you figure out why yours is doing it.

A question or two...he's 3, but how long have you had him? Have you changed his enclosure or 'furniture' lately? And do you ever let him walk around on the floor of his room?

Finally, did he just recently start doing this behavior?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I've had him for 1 and half years. Nothing has changed in his enclosure.
Has he just started to do this recently? Do you ever let him walk around on the floor?

One of the reasons torts want out of their enclosures is because they have been put on the floor to wander around the room/house. They know that there is a world out there and they like it. So they try to get out.

I asked about the lights because some lights that are sold for tortoises are really not good for them, and torts will try to get away from the light. But since you haven't made any changes recently, the lights are probably not the problem.

This is the care sheet for Hermann's torts. Read it over and double check that the temps in his enclosure are where they should be. If he's constantly too hot or too cold he may try to get out.

Is there a lid on his enclosure? Or is it open-topped? It would be helpful if you could post some pictures of him and his enclosure.

Cynthia Whitehead

Powder Springs
I've taken the picture but I can't get them loaded to the forum. I'm continue to try. Thank you for your help. I think he's just frustrated because now that it's warmer here in Georgia I've been taking them out to their outdoor enclosure daily when weather permits which is pretty much daily. I think he wants his outdoor enclosure but I want leave him outside all night. Too many predators.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I live in the Pacific Northwest and I have the very same problem with my animals. So I haul everybody outside to their respectful pens in the morning and back in the evening. I also have predators. I also nail a lip over the inside enclosure. This is what I recently did. But my tables are made of wood...Can you do this? I nailed lip over the sides of the enclosure look he wants out, but now he can't get out...
100_7755.JPG

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I've taken the picture but I can't get them loaded to the forum. I'm continue to try. Thank you for your help. I think he's just frustrated because now that it's warmer here in Georgia I've been taking them out to their outdoor enclosure daily when weather permits which is pretty much daily. I think he wants his outdoor enclosure but I want leave him outside all night. Too many predators.
I think he just wants outside. this is what my escapee is doing...
2 questions...is the temp in his enclosure hotter? and is the temp any higher?
Here's a photo of what that scrap wood does...From inside the tort table...lol I win!!!
100_7733.JPG

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I think he just wants outside. this is what my escapee is doing...
2 questions...is the temp in his enclosure hotter? and is the temp any higher?
Here's a photo of what that scrap wood does...From inside the tort table...lol I win!!!
View attachment 325824
I have no doubt that Red is going to figure this out. He has your same defiant nature.