5 month old Red foot help!

Chelseaa

I am so stressed about my little guy I got 2 days ago. I just want everything to be perfect for him and I want to go above and beyond to ensure he is well taken care of because I want him for life. I am just reading SO many mixed things and it and's putting a pit in my gut that I am not doing something right. As of right now, I am broke until Friday. So my question here is woll he be okay until I can get him everything he needs?

As of now, he is in a decent sized Rubbermaid tub, with a basking temp of around 85-90 degrees, and the humidity in the enclosure I TRY to keep to 80, but I have to mist it very often. I am at work right now so I am guessing his humidity is down in the moderate range right now. I have been keeping foil over his container to keep some humidity in. His bulb is suspended over his basking area, and I am looking to get a power sun MVB today so he has uvb. He did not eat yesterday, but ate today after a nice 15 minute soak in some water and real sunlight outside. He is very alert and active when he is awake. He has plants and a large shallow water dish in his enclosure.

I know I just figured out he needs shorter walls for his enclosure so I am worried about that. But I am doing everything I can to make sure his temps are perfect. He also has a heating pad under his basking area that makes it a nice 85-90 on the ground.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Will he be okay until I can get him a shorter enclosure in a few days?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You don't really need shorter sides. I would remove the heating pad. Use CHE's for heat and for RF the Flourescent uvb tubes seem to be most recommended. They do need a high humdity, but need the top layer to remain dry. They are more prone to shell rot then other high humidty torts. Most have good luck pouring warm water into the corners of the enclosure, wetting the under substrate, while keeping the top dry.

Turtlepete

South Florida
I typically use moist cypress mulch or spaghnum moss to maintain humidity. The substrate choice has a lot to due with maintaining humidity. Also, cover the enclosure in a moist towel (leaving space for the lights) and the humidity will dramatically increase.

Chelseaa

Great advice, I will stop misting the top of his substrate and pour some water and do the moist towel. I do not have a lid for his enclosure, so I am unsure how a fluorescent UVB tube will work. He has a MVB that I got after work for now, until I can upgrade his habitat.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Great advice, I will stop misting the top of his substrate and pour some water and do the moist towel. I do not have a lid for his enclosure, so I am unsure how a fluorescent UVB tube will work. He has a MVB that I got after work for now, until I can upgrade his habitat.

No reason to stop misting the substrate itself. Thats how I've raised dozens of clutches of red foots. It aids in keeping up humidity.

Chelseaa

No reason to stop misting the substrate itself. Thats how I've raised dozens of clutches of red foots. It aids in keeping up humidity.

Okay. But doesn't the top layer need to be dry? Thanks again for the help. I'm really learning a lot here. Also, what is the best substrate? As of right now he's on the Forest Floor substrate with green moss mixed into it. Is that suitable for now?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Okay. But doesn't the top layer need to be dry? Thanks again for the help. I'm really learning a lot here. Also, what is the best substrate? As of right now he's on the Forest Floor substrate with green moss mixed into it. Is that suitable for now?
Not totally dry./ Just not sopping wet.

Turtlepete

South Florida

Not at all. I have no idea where these claims that red foots are "particularly susceptible to shell fungus" come from. As @ZEROPILOT said, you just don't want it sopping wet. A bit of moisture is fine. I'm unfamiliar with that particular substrate, so I can't say. My favorite substrate is spaghnum moss or cypress mulch personally. Spaghnum moss allows young tortoises to burrow, and cypress mulch is the best substrate I've tried for maintaining humidity. I'm sure whatever you have will be suitable for now.