5 year old sulcata

alywhit

Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham
So I’ve noticed a lot of the posts on here are for hatchlings. I need some general info on how to properly take care of a 5 year old, around 10 inch long, African sulcata. She’s been living in a 20 gallon tank which is WAY too small for her. I have no idea about “hidey holes”, proper humidity, a proper enclosure, or even proper diet. If anyone can give me info on how to properly do all of these things it will be greatly appreciated!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I’ve noticed a lot of the posts on here are for hatchlings. I need some general info on how to properly take care of a 5 year old, around 10 inch long, African sulcata. She’s been living in a 20 gallon tank which is WAY too small for her. I have no idea about “hidey holes”, proper humidity, a proper enclosure, or even proper diet. If anyone can give me info on how to properly do all of these things it will be greatly appreciated!!
10 inches is still pretty much baby size. All of the info in the care sheet applies. Its right on the verge of being able to live outside full time with a heated night box in a warmer climate, but I'm not sure what your winters are like. 10 inches is when I move mine outside full time, but if you have snow for months on end then you'll need to come up with some sort of very large indoor heated space.

Here are the night boxes for reference. Maybe this could work for most of the year except for the dead of winter?

Also at this size, you could start introducing hay by feeding the tortoise on a bed of orchard grass hay or Bermuda hay. It might not eat it yet, but eventually it will, and this will be a life saver.

Even as an adult your tortoise will need it to be at least 80-85 year round all the time, day and night. This includes the floor of its enclosure, wherever that ends up being. This species comes from a hot part of the world and they need warm temps year round.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, a 10" long sulcata should be living outside. You can start acclimating it to living outside by taking it out for a couple hours a day, increasing the time a bit more each day. The tortoise would need plenty of shade areas, with a heated retreat - either a shed or a night box. You can still bring it in at night, then back out in the morning.